Author Topic: Dump it?  (Read 5585 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Dump it?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 20:46:50 »
This is a fantastic capture.

I see no need of retouching the image.  Cloning should make the surface of the water with slight ripples and reflections of the grasses unnaturally flat.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 18:05:37 »
Thanks Golunlovu and Akira

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 11:58:23 »
For me, it's a great shot.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 20:39:25 »
Thanks Viv

Nikkor Shooter

• This is not my language… just trying to use it!
  • NG Member
  • I shoot what I like… to like what I shoot! :)
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 16:13:52 »

I got Shovellers at the marsh a few times but I was not so lucky.

Splendid birds… but their bill!  ;)

Is it permitted to post edits suggestions on this forum?

Light is free… capturing it is not!

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 16:16:32 »
Of course Nikkor shooter

Nikkor Shooter

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 16:28:48 »
Of course Nikkor shooter

In some places it is taboo… so I prefer to ask! :P

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 15:14:06 »
Nikkor shooter, would you mind telling me what you have done?

My PP skills are woeful.
Thanks

Nikkor Shooter

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 15:29:59 »
Nikkor shooter, would you mind telling me what you have done? My PP skills are woeful. Thanks

Sure Peter!

I used the "inpainting tool" in Affinity Photo; it is simple, most flexible,
and — in my experience — an improvement over other pixel editors.

Affinity Photo is not a toy but a serious bit of software that has replaced
with upmost satisfaction the Creative Suite apps I was using before.

They have so many tutorials online… just explore them!  :P

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 20:26:45 »
Thank you Nikkor Shooter

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
  • You and me, -Are the real legacy of Nikon
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 14:41:01 »
If I’m allowed to be 110% honest;
-I would definitely NOT use this shot.

-Bear in mind that this is entirely my view (and opinion) of the given picture and that this is in fact under the "critique" category.

First of all, I don’t see any excitement in the picture. And in no way does the image "pop", it just doesn’t «stand out».
I don’t like the composition, and I think that it resembles more of a "snapshot" than anything else. Like you just panned with the birds concentrating on focus and to get more of a documentary kind of shot instead of trying to get a more exited shot/composition. It is easy to get "drawn into the moment" and forget about the rest. I remember I did this myself a lot when I started to photograph around 35 years ago. (Without going into further details about that.)

Although I see that the composition is kind of right, you got the air in front and above the birds a little misplaced, why? Because the bottom and the left side of the birds, are in my opinion, ruining the composition you were obviously trying to get. (I’m currently on my iPad watching this, so I can not see as well as on a computer according to sharpness and contrast etc. And if I am allowed Peter, I could do a quick edit/recrop of the given pic on the iPad to show you what I mean???)
I would cut a little behind the last bird and a bit under the birds wings (then cloned out the mirrored wing of the last bird in the water), then the air in front and over the birds would be more distinguished and then again it wouldn’t be so misplaced. The image would instantly come more out as a well composed one.
I would also like more details in the darkest parts of the birds, so I would slide the Shadow slider a bit up and the highlights just a tiny little bit down. Such a pity I can’t see the contrast that well on my iPad, but PERHAPS you’ve done a bit to much contrast on the birds as it’s difficult to see the dark details.(?) OR, have you used both the contrast and clarity at the same time a bit hard? One has to be really careful when using contrast together with clarity, as you know.

About the signature;
I think it’s on the correct side, if you had put it on the right side instead, it would throw the image out of balance.
But, always a «but», ain’t there?..😊  I think, the way the signature stands now, it’s too high up in the picture, but when that is said, I like that you haven’t emphasised it further, the letters are not too bold and not all too large, as I see a lot of people do these days. Because in these days people with camera (read: none photographers, people who think they are photographers just because they can afford a D800 and doesn’t have a darn clue about photography), are so self exposing that they need EVERYONE to know their name. Too bad «Photographer» isn’t a protected title! 😊

I could point out a few more tiny flaws, but I’m not here to slaughter your picture Peter, quite the opposite, to give you some constructive criticism. (And we can really learn a lot from each other this way!🙂)
I believe that’s why the topic are called «Critique»...😉😊☺️

Wishing you a great weekend, Peter!! 😊👍🙋🏻‍♂️

Patrick
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

-Proud Nikon FE2 owner since a age of 9!-

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 20:14:25 »
Please go ahead Patrick