Author Topic: 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P  (Read 8077 times)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 23:14:19 »
I own two (black) copies of the 45/2.8P and it's my lens cap for my D800.  Sharpness wide open at 36MP is great in the central 2/3'rds of the frame, but the edges suffer considerably.   Stop it down to f/5.6 and all is incredibly sharp across the frame except for the last 1% in the far corners.

Only real issue is the problems with flare/ghosting and not the greatest sun stars as a result.

I have no issues with the aperture/focusing ring mechanics as I adapted quite quickly - still way better than the 40/1.4 Voigtlander (that I have since sold because of the mechanics and being not that sharp even stopped down).

A modern 45/2.8P version would be fantastic.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 01:23:32 »
The multicoated 45GN is marked ".C" (GN Auto NIKKOR·C) like other multicoated lenses of the same period.
See: http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_45mm_f2.8_763981.html

This one didn't have the "C". There were some lens that were quietly multi-coated by both Nikon and Canon that weren't marked as such. As I recall Pentax kicked off advertisement of multi-coated lenses.

Dave

---

I bailed out of Nikon in 1976 to start a Hasselblad system with T* multi-coated lenses. As planned I started a new Nikon System in 1978 with multi-coated then AI Nikkors. I don't think I bought any K type lenses. I did have a 105/2.5 Nikkor-C, AI and AIS all at the same time. I don't remember why I had the Nikkor-C. I AI(Ed) the Nikkor-C and sold it.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

chambeshi

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 15:15:47 »
Quote from: Erik Lund on June 02, 2017, 11:04:55
For the 45mm 2.8 Ai-P It might be worth a try to make a combined lens hood and focus ring for improved/wider manual focusing ring width,,,

yes. that is a good idea! I am doing that with my W-Nikkors for RF, as you know they can be a pain to turn (aperture ring)  :o :o :o i also intend to have numbers engraved on it as soon as I learn how to do it with precision.

a step-down ring was my initial choice until I learned about the Haas Mini Mill  ::)
Interesting suggestion. One possibility is to modify a Nikon bayonet lens hood with its internal diameter close to fit over the 45 AIP focusing ring (outer dia of my lens, the black model is 60.4mm). It must be narrow to not block the distance scale, or better indented for that section.
This mod would be along the lines of HK-3 - the great accessory for the 20mm f4AI. The locking screw tightens a spring steel ring around the rubber grip of the focusing ring. (The HK-3 is scarce but well worth the search if one is committed to the 20 f4.)

chambeshi

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 15:24:15 »
Couple of photos of HK-3 the specialized lens hood for the 20 f4AI. And a comparison of the 20 f4 and 45 f2.8AIP on the Df - with 200 f2G for towering context :-)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 04:05:33 »
lots of interesting feedbacks :o :o :o
wasn't expecting this lens to be this popular here ::)

it's a pretty nice lens. the biggest flaw I can see is the design.
  • not using a proper diamond knurling pattern on the aperture iris makes it difficult to distinguish which ring you are holding. having it also aids grip
  • not having a grip unlike the GN makes this lens awkward to mount and remove
  • DOF and distance scale is useful but colours are weird (on the silver)
  • the beauty ring is glued-on plastic. same like almost all AF-D lenses.

this would probably be a nice travel lens but the 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S isn't much larger and handles better. It is also faster but 45mm is what I prefer to shoot with. it is an odd focal length but I like it!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 03:32:18 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rycnn70i9I

from Kenneth Olsen's channel  :o :o :o

fixing oily blades ::)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 06:29:40 »

Only real issue is the problems with flare/ghosting and not the greatest sun stars as a result.

Was my favourite lens used in combo with 105mm f2.5 which complimented each other well on FE2.

Mine is not bad at all - not a lot of flare and light stars pretty cool - haven't shot many sun stars though (smearing is the rain - was lightly drizzling)

JJ