Author Topic: Coolpix A Questions  (Read 1686 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Coolpix A Questions
« on: May 27, 2017, 04:57:32 »
I am constantly amazed at the quality of files from this little camera.

Does any one use the hood?
Does any one use the optical VF? Do you then set screen brightness to 0 or is there a way to disable to screen?
Rockwell says that setting AF to face detect gives faster and more accurate AF?

It is a little slow for street but usable. Please post your CPA shots!

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: Coolpix A Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 05:50:06 »
JJ, all last year I tried to buy one.  Talk about holding its' value  ;D .  One of my dealers had a new Silver for Rs31K,   Called him back a month later to Buy and price had gone to Rs51K.  Nikon India with the 2 year warranty.

I love the cars in motion of the last image (and colours) .  There is a Street Shooter (Ray Sachs) , posting on some sites, who has used just about every brand of camera,.  Last seen he was using Df as primary and Coolpix A as small.  Nikon never followed up on the A.
Cannot answer any of your questions but the VF and Hood are darned expensive  :(
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:07:49 »
JJ,

Thanks for the face detect tip. Will give it a try.

FWIW, I am very pleased with the Really Right Stuff L-bracket on my Coolpix A.

Sam
Sam McMillan

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 23:57:57 »
Here is mine with hood and Voigtlander Viewfinder (and pimped with leatherette).

Actually the hood was on sale when I bought it 3 years ago (there is also a cheaper JJC version) and the Voigtlander VF is more affordable than the Nikon version.
I don't think you can turn off the LCD but for me it is not an issue using the VF with the LCD on.
AF is indeed not its strength and I must say trying KR's tip seems to work - also not photographing people - so thanks for sharing this!

Like you I am still amazed with the quality output of the Coolpix A and use it regularly for several years now, like yesterday evening to capture  thunder & lightning.

Thunder by Arend, on Flickr
Arend

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 17:25:48 »
Nice skin Arend and good capture of lightning - that is not easy to do with the CPA

I also got my hood and Nikon VF on sale (90% off!) on eBay - but haven't used them at all. I couldn't work out how the LCD screen couldn't turn off and I'd have a bright screen in my face