Author Topic: My "Eleanor"* of Birds - Heron  (Read 1488 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
My "Eleanor"* of Birds - Heron
« on: May 09, 2017, 14:38:33 »
I'm not much of a birder.....that is to say I take pictures of birds as opportunity allows, but I never was one to actively seek them out.  That is but for one.  There are a lot of Great Blue Heron's in my area and I'e always wanted to be able to get a shot of one in a natural setting.

Something always seemed to get in the way of getting a shot I was happy with.  They were nested and too far away, I didn't have the right camera/lens and/or the time of day was just not conducive....the lighting was trash.  You get the point.

That all changed yesterday when, after work, the wife and I went on a training hike(training for our Yellowstone vacation later this year) when she saw a Heron hunting at a pond in the park.  Luckily, I had the Nikon D500, 300/4E PF, and the TC-14EIII.

I stalked my prey, ever so slowly taking pictures at different intervals as I approached, just in case it were to get spooked and fly away.   I was able to get roughly 20-30 yards from the bird before I stopped.  I didn't want to stress the bird while it was hunting, so there I stayed.   Got a few good shots, but this one attached is my favorite.

So far, this has been my best shot of a Heron to date.  The search for my "Eleanor" of birds is over.  However, I won't give up opportunities to get even better shots in the future if the present themselves.

*For those who are not movie aficionados, the term Eleanor is used in the movie "Gone In 60 Seconds", where the main character is a car thief and the only car that has eluded him in all his years is a Shelby Cobra, which he names Eleanor.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: My "Eleanor"* of Birds - Heron
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 15:34:17 »
Andrew, great analogy

I like your Eleanor ! Nice light and nice story

BTW ... This guys are spectacular when landing ... ;D
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 15:45:58 »
Indeed they are.   The bird did take off while I was there, but I did not have the correct camera settings when it flew into the setting sun to get an acceptable image.  Maybe next time!  :D

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 15:49:19 »
Nice, like the lighting.
The herons can be difficult, shy and easy spooked.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 17:12:01 »
Nice combination of the studio-like well controled lighting and the pleasing natural environment.  Thanks for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 18:18:51 »
Thanks all for the comments.  Everything came together for me that day.
Andrew

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 18:28:52 »
Great portrait Andrew.

Indeed, this is birding. Almost endless frustration, until one day it all comes together for a few seconds.

So what's the next target?

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 19:10:05 »
Great I like it very much, the light looks not so physical as already said but it captured the right moment
Very good performance the lens combination

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 22:21:09 »
Great portrait Andrew.

Indeed, this is birding. Almost endless frustration, until one day it all comes together for a few seconds.

So what's the next target?

I'm not sure.  Not a whole lot of exotic birds about.  I might stumble about a bit further south of me and see if I can find some American Bald Eagles in the wild.  They are making a resurgence here.
Andrew

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 22:22:06 »
Great I like it very much, the light looks not so physical as already said but it captured the right moment
Very good performance the lens combination

Thanks!

I lucked out and was at the pond right at sunset, so got that nice side lighting.
Andrew

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 18:59:59 »
I'm not sure.  Not a whole lot of exotic birds about.  I might stumble about a bit further south of me and see if I can find some American Bald Eagles in the wild.  They are making a resurgence here.

A worthy target.

It's so good to hear about birds making a resurgence in Europe and America. Here, the opposite is the norm.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 19:35:12 »
yoh - your Eleanor is beautiful. And well done on a really great image. Feels good hey :)
My Eleanor is a Fish Eagle. I hear AND SEE them - but they are a speck in the sky above my house.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 22:18:52 »
A worthy target.

It's so good to hear about birds making a resurgence in Europe and America. Here, the opposite is the norm.

Yes, it has been years since the Bald Eagle population has been this good.   
Andrew

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 22:20:26 »
yoh - your Eleanor is beautiful. And well done on a really great image. Feels good hey :)
My Eleanor is a Fish Eagle. I hear AND SEE them - but they are a speck in the sky above my house.

Thank you, and best of luck to you on getting your Fish Eagle, they appear to look quite similar to bald eagle.
Andrew