Author Topic: Curious about Nikon 28mm f/4 PC non-Ai  (Read 1165 times)

BruceLeventhal

• NG Member
  • Nature Photographer / Environmentalist
    • BTLeventhal.com
Curious about Nikon 28mm f/4 PC non-Ai
« on: May 04, 2017, 15:31:31 »
My local shop has a very clean and working version of this lens. I am primarily a nature shooter and have used the Canon 24mm T/S v1 when I shot Canon years ago. I miss working with t/s lenses, but not enough to justify the cost of Nikon's newest versions. The lens I have found is priced at $250 US and it would be used on my D810. I have never used a non ai lens, but I do not believe that any of Nikon Tilt or T/S lenses are aperture coupled, so this should not matter.

What is the optical quality of this older Nikkor... especially on a high resolution body like the D810. Just for reference, I am using a Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 ZF1 and Nikon 16-35mm VR as my primary wide-angle lenses. While the Zeiss is sharper than the Nikon, it has more CA than the Nikkor at 18mm and limited by being a single focal length. Regardless of the limitations of my current lenses, I find them both to be adequate on my D810 especially after I do a bit of post-processing.

thanks for you thoughts and cheers,
bruce
regards,
bruce

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Curious about Nikon 28mm f/4 PC non-Ai
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 15:47:54 »
It is a Shift lens only.
Performance and IQ I think it is OK but not a stunning performer.
Make sure it clears the aperture follower, not sure mine did without modification of the aperture ring,,,
The later PC-E T/S lenses have automatic stop down on D810
Erik Lund

BruceLeventhal

• NG Member
  • Nature Photographer / Environmentalist
    • BTLeventhal.com
Re: Curious about Nikon 28mm f/4 PC non-Ai
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 03:18:49 »
Thanks Erik,
I appreciate the input.

bruce
regards,