Author Topic: Sony introduces the a9  (Read 33370 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Sony introduces the a9
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2017, 22:35:10 »
I don't think there will be a mirrorless replacement to the D810 but a parallel line of products designed to take advantage the strengths of mirrorless while DSLRs will follow their own path of evolution. In the end all the AF lenses need to be redesigned to autofocus well with mirrorless (except the AF-P which are already so equipped) if that's where you want to go. Manual focus would work of course with an adapter if that's what you use. Canon have stated they are working on a 120MP DSLR so probably Nikon will seek to compete with that as well as Sony's product line.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2017, 22:47:17 »
Ilkka,

I hope the D810 replacement will not be a mirrorless camera. I'm not willing to say never to an EVF but for now I want an optical viewfinder.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2017, 23:13:45 »
Ilkka,

I hope the D810 replacement will not be a mirrorless camera. I'm not willing to say never to an EVF but for now I want an optical viewfinder.

Dave
   One little more step and you will find yourself in the camp of the A99II-like new Nikon lovers... Or not?  LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2017, 19:49:47 »
Here is a hands-on review by Jordan Drake of TCSTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHym5T2_xUM

and here are the ones by Tony & Chelsea (in the later part of the first one, you can watch the interview to the Sony rep):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Z9ZvIZ2VE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7ZVSnEtmA
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2017, 20:51:16 »
as long as there is zero blackout or latency, i am all for this.... of course, i have to wait until nikon goes this route with the pro-cams
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2017, 00:16:39 »
This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your optical viewfinder...again

So is this the end?

Dave Hartman

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2017, 01:08:23 »
So is this the end?

Dave Hartman

The end is in the eye of the beholder...   ;)

bjornthun

« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2017, 03:44:29 »
Nikon still lists the F6, don't they? There will be DSLRs for quite a few more years, but they will become a niche product, and there will be much fewer models to choose from. DSLR product development will grind to a halt in the years ahead.

I'm inclined to think that the Nikon E type Nikkors are the most future proof DSLR Nikkors.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2017, 12:01:25 »
I'm inclined to think that the Nikon E type Nikkors are the most future proof DSLR Nikkors.
The latest Nikon E and Canon EF lenses are indeed the most future proof autofocus DSLR lenses but the question remains why one would want to use these modern lenses on a mirrorless platform once these systems become mature in their lens lineup. Unique lenses like already legendary 105/1.4E might always be interesting though.

Old skool manual focus lenses will stay popular because their population is slowly decreasing over time while offering an unique classic rendering, character and experience not found in modern lenses anymore. Hence my 50/1.2, 85/1.2 and 125/2.5 will probably stay within my lens collections until my last breath, all other lenses might be sold when better alternatives become available.

Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2017, 12:32:09 »
Interestingly both Canon and Nikon started to employ non-ultrasonic motors (Canon's STM and Nikon's P).  While the omission of the mechanical control is the obvious trend, and the ultrasonic motors could be obsolete.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2017, 12:47:44 »
So not long ago, maybe a year, I bought three obsolete lenses. Is that what I understand?

Dave who himself is obsolete.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2017, 12:51:24 »
My experience is that E lenses can be erratic in very cold and humid winter conditions. None of the other types of Nikkors give me regular trouble. With E lenses it is typical to run into problems in the peak of winter. I would not choose an E lens for it being E but of course the newest lenses are likely to stay serviceable for a longer time than some older autofocus lenses. 

If you want to use autofocus with mirrorless you need a lens designed with that in mind. AF-P lenses should qualify (they actually show quiet and snappy AF in live view) but so far they're not E. Stepper motors have been introduced into DSLR systems by Canon as well. For both manufacturers, these lenses are not the high end models with fast maximum apertures. Probably USM is faster and that's why they don't use stepper motors for fast professional grade lenses. Sony also put two motors in the 70-200/2.8, one of them is ultrasonic, illustrating the continuing need for this type of motor in a fast telephoto. Personally I don't see any point in an adapted, mismatching AF body and AF lens combination that were not designed to work with each other. The motor is one thing, flange distance another (phase detect AF is optimized for a specific distance, according to Nikon), communication protocol another, and finally the filter stack and microlenses are designed to be an optimal fit with the manufacturer's own lenses. The adapter is often a clumsy addition which affects handling and ergonomics.

But for me this is not relevant since I am happy using the DSLR and if I want a quieter camera, I would get one with an OVF  either from Leica or Fuji. Those systems I use with their native lenses to make best out of them as well.

bjornthun

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2017, 12:51:46 »
The latest Nikon E and Canon EF lenses are indeed the most future proof autofocus DSLR lenses but the question remains why one would want to use these modern lenses on a mirrorless platform once these systems become mature in their lens lineup. Unique lenses like already legendary 105/1.4E might always be interesting though.
Future proofness in the sense that one does not need to switch lenses when buying a new mirrorless camera, while still retaining AF and full exposure automation. Lenses will often be the most expensive part of a camera system.
Old skool manual focus lenses will stay popular because their population is slowly decreasing over time while offering an unique classic rendering, character and experience not found in modern lenses anymore. Hence my 50/1.2, 85/1.2 and 125/2.5 will probably stay within my lens collections until my last breath, all other lenses might be sold when better alternatives become available.
Your CV 125/2.5 in Canon EF mount is one of those future proof lenses, which retains exposure automation and EXIF. Also it is very well corrected compared to classical f/1.2 lenses and still an optically a modern lens. That's the same market that Cosina and Zeiss still cater to with MF lenses for the Leica M and Sony E mounts.

However classical lenses from various manufacturers will remain popular as they are easier to use on a full frame mirrorless, and you can mix and match classical lenses from different manufacturers with different lens mount. When Nikon/Canon go mirrorless they may find an even greater market. As for metering, a Nikon pre-Ai will easily meter on a Sony, even in the A mode, so some lenses "increase" their future proofness.

bjornthun

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2017, 12:55:27 »
I've not encountered problems with E mount lenses in the winter. They are no more prone to problems than any other AF lenses I've had, and I've had quite a few.

Edit: My confusion of terminology and letters.

bjornthun

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2017, 13:45:18 »
Interestingly both Canon and Nikon started to employ non-ultrasonic motors (Canon's STM and Nikon's P).  While the omission of the mechanical control is the obvious trend, and the ultrasonic motors could be obsolete.
I'm not sure that USM motors go out of fashion. I wonder, if they are rather being accompanied by stepper motors as another class of motors, so the lens designers choose the more types of motors according to application and the weight of the focusing group in the lens. As I understand it lenses like a 300/2.8 still need the big ring type USM motors. The Sony 70-200/2.8 FE uses two kinds of motors, one of which is a ring type USM. So, I don't think USM is on it's way out.

I would imagine that an AF version of the Nikon 45/2.8P would do best with a stepper motor, like the Canon 40/2.8 STM.

Wasn't there something called "micro-USM" motors. Is the Canon STM/Nikon -P an alternative or replacement for those, but not for the ring USM motors?