Author Topic: Three Shires Head  (Read 1348 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Three Shires Head
« on: March 28, 2017, 22:43:36 »
Where Derbyshire, Cheshire and Staffordshire meet.
Simone Tomasi

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Three Shires Head
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:31:31 »
Gorgeous location, very nice pano, and great exposure
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:08 »
I agree with all that Armando says but I would add that - imho -  the image could stand some slightly more muscular pp. I expect the image is very accurate to how the scene looked to the eye when you shot it but I have always felt it permissible to do a certain amount of "optimisation", especially when faced with the grey and grungy light we so often get in the UK in winter. I am talking only about tone, colour and contrast and I think your image could be improved noticeably by tweaks to all three.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:38:34 »
Gorgeous location, very nice pano, and great exposure

Thanks Armando.
Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:49:34 »
I agree with all that Armando says but I would add that - imho -  the image could stand some slightly more muscular pp. I expect the image is very accurate to how the scene looked to the eye when you shot it but I have always felt it permissible to do a certain amount of "optimisation", especially when faced with the grey and grungy light we so often get in the UK in winter. I am talking only about tone, colour and contrast and I think your image could be improved noticeably by tweaks to all three.

Thanks David, you know that I am quite conservative in my pp.
As found in other conversations before,  maybe I should be bolder.
As it happens, I did have a more muscular edit with greater shadow recovery and local contrast, but I ended up toning it down to the version posted because it felt a bit overcooked.
The day itself had better light than usual, although not early,  at least it was sunny.
One of the major challenges was the dynamic range and white balance difference between shaded and sunlit areas. It is not easy to deal with it in a pleasing and convincing way.
When I am home I will post the previous stronger edit,  I am curious to hear what you think of it.
Simone Tomasi

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:53:38 »
Beautiful scenery and great composition. If you give it another pp attempt - my immediate thought when I first watched it was that I'm curious to see more of the rocks, brickwork and water fall in the shadows to the right .. letting it be a tad more prominent in the composition.     

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 22:13:05 »
Beautiful scenery and great composition. If you give it another pp attempt - my immediate thought when I first watched it was that I'm curious to see more of the rocks, brickwork and water fall in the shadows to the right .. letting it be a tad more prominent in the composition.   

Thanks for the feedbac.
When I returned home I looked at the older edit and even though it is punchier, it has very blocked up shadows.
I did not like so I ended up with a completely new attempt, which can be seen below.

Simone Tomasi

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 22:53:00 »
2nd edit shows more of the shadows
but I can see the detail on #1

whichever you prefer , both look fine to me
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 23:16:30 »
I think this image could be used as an examination-piece, if exams in PP existed. My gut feeling was that more could be got out of this image, so - I hope you don't mind - I downloaded it and had a go. But try as I might, I could make no more than small incremental "improvements"; I simply could not find the transformational edit which I thought must exist. Finally, in exasperation, I hit Auto Tone, Auto Contrast and Auto Color.

The result is attached, without comment except to say it is at least as good as anything I did manually.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 23:28:28 »
Bringing out the shadows is better. Well done. Beautiful!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 21:50:40 »
The NG blackout made me miss the most recent additions to the thread - thanks Jakov!
Also missed David's interesting comment on the PP examination piece, quite funny.
What I found less funny is that auto everything did a better job than my time consuming effort.
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 23:43:58 »
Brightening up the shadow area would make this nice pano better on the computer screens, but as a large print, the original image might look more dynamic and spectacular, I guess?

I like the green in the shadow area in the original rendition.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:55 »

What I found less funny is that auto everything did a better job than my time consuming effort.

That has happened to me too. 

Nowadays I usually try Auto just to see if it works, and often it does.  Sometimes it needs a tweak.  If it is no good it is easy to reverse.  In a way all presets are a form of Auto, so there is no shame in using it.
Anthony Macaulay