Author Topic: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!  (Read 42939 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2017, 19:40:03 »
On this 2014 trip to Germany, I for the very first time was convinced that the 24/2 Nikkor AIS had a future on my Df.

That is a truly excellent image and definitely an image that speaks well to the gear as well as the photographer who took it.  Thanks for sharing that.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2017, 21:08:52 »
My 24/2.8 AI had serious flare and ghost. If the sun is included in the frame and probably close to included I'll get twelve (12) small, hot ghosts. If I add a filter I'll get thirteen ghosts. The vignette is pretty strong wide open so stopping down is necessary for slide film. I don't remember when I used the 24/2.8 AI last. With a D800 I'll use a 20mm lens can crop.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2017, 21:10:38 »
Anyone: how is the flare and ghost with the 24/2.0 AI or AIS? For those who have used both is it better than the 24/2.8 AI or AIS?

Any other manual focus 24mm lens for Nikon F with at least average flare and ghost properties?

Dave

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2017, 22:10:37 »
Yes : Zeiss 25/2, Sigma 24/1.4 and IIRC Samyang 24/1.4 perform well, even against bright light.
Airy Magnien

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2017, 02:49:26 »
Funny story.  I put the picture of the "umbrella girl" up on Facebook today....got a request for a 20x30 from a lady about 100 miles away from me.   Wants to put it up on her wall.

Just another example that shows the people don't care about the gear, they care about the image!  :D
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:41 »
Just another example that shows the people don't care about the gear, they care about the image!  :D

Which proves photographers shouldn't care about gear either?

Dave

The 😈 made me type that!

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2017, 14:44:19 »
Photographers should care about the gear as much as needed to satisfy their end goals, whatever that may be.  I'm not one to judge what another person wants or needs.  It is their money, their vision, their ideas to do with as they please.

If asked for guidance, I would surely give it willingly....but I've tried to give up my judgmental ways.  :D
Andrew

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2017, 21:30:48 »
So I own three 135mm Nikkor lenses. I bought a 135/3.5 AI Nikkor. It was dirt cheap and it performs very nicely at f/5.6. Then a guy on another forum offered for free a couple of lenses: a 135/3.5 Nikkor-Q (factory AI) and a 50/1.4 Nikkor-S (also factory AI). Owning a many lenses I waited about a week and no one asked so I did and so then I owned two 135/3.5 Nikkors. Then one day the need for a Nikon D70 overwhelmed some person and they sold their totally mint 135/2.8 AIS (w/ SIC) and 28/2.0 AIS (also SIC). I think they also sold a Nikon FM3a (AKA Nikon FE-3m). Now I own three 135mm Nikkor lenses.

The 135/2.8 AIS Nikkor is a wonderful lens in a class with the 105/2.5 AIS and it's Xenotar siblings as well as the 180/2.8 ED AIS. I'm not going to sell the 135/2.8 AIS.

I'm not going to use eBay to sell. eBay is for me too seller unfriendly. I probably can only get about 50% of retail price if I sell to KEH.com and I'd have to package the lens or lenses if I sold a 135/3.5 or both. I might get $100.00 (USD) for both if I'm lucky. What should I do?

Dave Hartman

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2017, 23:37:32 »
I bought a 135/3.5 AI Nikkor. It was dirt cheap. Then a guy on another forum offered for free a couple of lenses:

I might get $100.00 (USD) for both if I'm lucky. What should I do?

Find a young photographer (or two) who could use and appreciate them and send them along.

chambeshi

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2017, 10:00:28 »
Photographers should care about the gear as much as needed to satisfy their end goals, whatever that may be.  I'm not one to judge what another person wants or needs.  It is their money, their vision, their ideas to do with as they please.

If asked for guidance, I would surely give it willingly....but I've tried to give up my judgmental ways.  :D

Wise words indeed. No better guidelines for forum etiquette :-)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2017, 11:55:52 »
Very wise words, if only this was the norm the internet and the world in general would be a much better place :)

Cheers,
Jan Anne

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2017, 14:32:31 »
I wasn't always this way.  I once fell onto the trap...Could be a jerk sometimes...Then...I grew up.   Lol. 😉
Andrew

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2017, 22:13:53 »
So I own three 135mm Nikkor lenses. I bought a 135/3.5 AI Nikkor [...] a 135/3.5 Nikkor-Q (factory AI) [...] totally mint 135/2.8 AIS.

What should I do?
Take pictures with them :)

They are all different optical designs so will have different characteristics. If you find that any are not to your liking or you simply don't use them, I'm sure you will find a willing buyer.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2017, 07:58:17 »
I have somehow ended up with 3 135's:  a 135/2 AiS, a 135/2.8 AiS, and a 135/3.5 Ai.  They all are different lenses, of course, but they have a remarkably similar rendering. or 'look'.  The older Q designs should render more noticeably different from the later Ai/AiS units, but I haven't shot with the older designs on digital...yet.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2017, 08:07:23 »
pluton,

Thank you for your post. I've seen the light. Chiefly what I need is a fourth 135mm Nikkor, a 135/2.0 AIS!

Dave Hartman

...but then I only own four 105mm Nikkors so perhaps I should add to the 105mm stable. I do have a preference for 105mm over 135mm going back to about 1971.

This phone changes words without my consent!