Author Topic: Andrew at the Dunes, Death Valley California  (Read 1969 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Andrew at the Dunes, Death Valley California
« on: January 28, 2017, 16:27:55 »
This was taken in 2005 at the dunes, in Death Valley California.
 While my Photobuds immersed themselves in documenting the beauty of Nature's Splendor, to retain my sanity and keep from pushing sharp sticks into my eyes, I spent the six days taking pictures of them taking pictures.
 This is my bud Andrew, the Skiing Dentist, and a mean sports photographer, who spends a lot of time shooting his Daughter's World Cup Slalom ski races.
 motorized Nikon F2AS
 zoom-Nikkor 80~200 2.8 ED AIS manual focus
 Ektachrome 100 ISO colour slide
 probably 2.8 @ 1/125th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Andrew at the Dunes, Death Valley California
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 19:40:04 »
This isa great shot geometrically and moody. Thank you
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 20:01:43 »
This isa great shot geometrically and moody. Thank you
Frank,
I appreciate your kind comments.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 20:04:35 »
Nice work. I loved those dunes and their ambient setting when Andrea and I visited Death Valley in 2012. Will not hijack your thread by posting own pictures though.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 00:05:08 »
Fascinating image!
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 03:10:07 »
Nice work. I loved those dunes and their ambient setting when Andrea and I visited Death Valley in 2012. Will not hijack your thread by posting own pictures though.

Interestingly, from Dante's View in Death Valley, you can see the highest point in the US (Mt. Whitney 14,496 ft.) and the lowest point in the US (Badwater -282 ft.).
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 08:25:36 »
Robert, this image depicts the relationship between the human being and the mother nature marvelously.  Thanks for sharing.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 20:31:41 »
Great picture with regard to content and composition 👍🏻 Colors, though, are not,  and there are a lot of artifacts around the tripod. Can you tell us how this picture was digitized ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 06:07:07 »
Great picture with regard to content and composition 👍🏻 Colors, though, are not,  and there are a lot of artifacts around the tripod. Can you tell us how this picture was digitized ?
MFloyd,
You are correct that the colour balance is a bit off. I tend to make most of my pictures too warm. This time I used the auto colour function which made it too cold.
I pulled out the original slide and it is warmer.
The "artifacts" you refer to around the tripod are the joints in the legs. Perhaps you should worry less about pointless minutae in a picture and concentrate more on the overall composition.
I often see this type of criticism from other Judges when I judge Club competitions and clinics, and make it my business to ignore these points when I score images, as I see no value in concentrating on them.
As for the scanning, the slide was scanned on a Minolta 5400 Dimage scanner via Vuescan software and then adjusted in Photoshop CS.
Robert

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:49:29 »
....Perhaps you should worry less about pointless minutae in a picture and concentrate more on the overall composition...

I think it is what I did in my opening statement. And with regard to the "pointless minutiae" I would probably have refrained if we were not on a forum dedicated to photography. It's a pity that such a beautiful picture is underserved by very poor technical quality, unless it's part of the artistic approach.  Thank you for the info about the scanner  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 15:31:17 »
I think it is what I did in my opening statement. And with regard to the "pointless minutiae" I would probably have refrained if we were not on a forum dedicated to photography. It's a pity that such a beautiful picture is underserved by very poor technical quality, unless it's part of the artistic approach.  Thank you for the info about the scanner  ;)
And you too for your comments, regardless of how little stock I put in them.
Robert

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 21:29:21 »
RB, I like the shot, but I don't feel that I am seeing a good representation of it here.
The version posted here seems highly compressed and very small in pixel dimensions, which leads to a soft blurry quality on all 3 displays(old laptop, Retina HiRes laptop, 27" NEC ) I've viewed it on.  The photo could be better appreciated, in my opinion, if the posted file was closer to our unofficial standard of about 1200 pixels along the long side, with compression adjusted to allow roughly a 1.5 to 2 MB file size.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA