Author Topic: First impressions - New MacBook Pro 2016  (Read 9565 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: First impressions - New MacBook Pro 2016
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 19:40:00 »
I am on the latest version of Sierra (10.12.3).  The Nik Collection works just as it always did.
Anthony Macaulay

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 20:37:59 »
Andrea, thank you 😊 for the info.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 23:20:36 »
Thanks, Anthony. Are you using Photoshop or Light-room?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 00:39:50 »
Jacov, I am using Photoshop CC 2017 fully up to date.
Anthony Macaulay

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 09:39:32 »
Thank you, Anthony.
I make blurry pictures anyway :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 13:06:08 »
Congrats on your new hardware, great to hear that it works well.

As for the touchpad, I recall many years ago before I bought my first Macbook Pro that I absolutely hated touchpads and if I didn't have a mouse, I'd prefer to use the trackpoint. That all changed with the Macbook, I hated touchpads because all other touchpads was basically crap. I think you can get decent trackpads on Windows laptops today, but for years, Apple was the only ones that made trackpads that was worth using.

The lack of upgradeability is a shame and was already in effect when I bought my current Macbook Pro (late 2013 model), so I did what you did, bought it with the fastest CPU and as much RAM as possible to make it last as long as possible. I didn't buy the biggest SSD (1TB at the time and very expensive), I bought the 512GB SSD with the expectation that it would provide enough storage space for my needs. Here, 3 years later, it seems I was right. I don't store all my images and data on my laptop, I have a NAS for that and I have around 150GB of free space on my laptop.
As for upgradeability, I haven't had the need. My machine still runs smoothly and it's plenty fast. Intel's CPU's haven't improved much in performance since the model I have in mine, so that's no reason for upgrading and I expect my machine to last quite a few years yet :)
Jørgen Ramskov

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 17:32:09 »

As for upgradeability, I haven't had the need. My machine still runs smoothly and it's plenty fast. Intel's CPU's haven't improved much in performance since the model I have in mine, so that's no reason for upgrading and I expect my machine to last quite a few years yet :)

How can we gauge our chip relative to today's performance for things like Lightroom and other image processing?  My mobile machine is a Mac Book Pro Retina Mid-2013, chip is 3 Ghz Intel i7, with 8 gig memory. Obviously more memory would help, but what difference on processors in 3-4 years?

Rob.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 09:08:06 »
The difference in CPU performance will be relatively small, perhaps a 10% improvement or such. Intel has mostly focused on minimizing power usage.
Jørgen Ramskov

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
I used to be a Mac person, but learned to dislike the company. In the early 90's I was running Photoshop 2.1 on a LC/040 processor. I bought a MBP in early 2011, & that thing was a return/repair nightmare X 10. I only still use it because I bought an Adobe Suite & I couldn't get the software switched to PC.

(I've probably owned or serviced well over 100 powerbooks or desktop configurations. (I have a huge storage bin of apple parts.)

Their lack of user upgrade options, proprietary do dads and a new OS every year...(THAT BRICKED OR ELIMINATED SOMETHING,) left me in the dirt.

I'm still using Snow Leopard & my Abobe suite on my cRApple, for old times sake. I use an I7/Quad, Lenovo for leisure, but my now outdated Dell is my main rig. Lattitude E6530, 3rd gen, quad i7, Usb3, eSata...(no camera.) It even has a removable drive bay to swap the optical drive with a 2nd Hard Drive, or even a 2nd battery.

With a dock it works extremely well, & it's a grab & go, powerhouse.

If you like your new MBP, don't mind me, Enjoy it.

:) :) :) :) :)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 23:50:00 »
My 2005 Powerbook still works, but the software has left it behind.  I use it when I need its CD drive.

My 2008 MacPro was replaced only because the software had left it behind.

Mrs A's MacBook Air is from 2010 and is still her workhorse, but modern software tends to overtax it.

My MacBook Air is from 2011 and is used every day.  It runs the latest version of Photoshop, but is showing signs of age.

I love my late 2014 iMac.

None of my Apple computers has ever been in for service.

Apple longevity is not an issue for me.
Anthony Macaulay

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 11:10:37 »
Beside the new MBP 2016, I'm still operating a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 (2005), under Windows XP, for field work, measurements etc. This thing had everything: from hot swappable disks, batteries, high intensity daylight touchscreen, heated and shockproof  HDDs etc.; the disastrous Windows Vista OS closed definitely the doors for Windows OS. Never had a breakdown, neither with the Mac's or the Panasonic.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν