Author Topic: Fuji "attacking" again  (Read 15766 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Fuji "attacking" again
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 10:01:22 »
I know that,,,   today there are just so many workaround ways to solve that!
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2017, 11:20:34 »
I know that,,,   today there are just so many workaround ways to solve that!

Could you clarify that?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2017, 11:55:14 »
Nikon has HS High Speed Sync, works very well.

Elinchrom has a series of flash heads called: High Speed, or HS, both battery and cable types with long flash times, ie the flashlight emits light for a long time as opposed to the other way of freezing the action where you would use a flash head with a very short emission of flash light, Elinchrom called the Action Head or A.

It synchronizes with the flash via their remote trigger Skyport Plus HS so it starts to fire before the shutter opens, then when the flash emits almost a constant amount of light - the shutter slit travels to the end of the exposure. up to 1/8000 of a second is possible with this set up.

Their old series Standard Head or S also works in HS with the however not up to super fast shutter speeds, up to 1/800.
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2017, 12:23:15 »
Okay, but using high speed sync (or Nikon's Auto FP sync) at faster sync speeds than the one supported natively by the mechanical focal plane shutter you lose one stop of light for every stop that you go above the sync speed, i.e., with the Fuji's 1/125s sync speed, a 400Ws unit effectively becomes a 200Ws at 1/250s, 100Ws at 1/500s, and so on. With a central shutter such as the ones in Hasselblad's X series lenses there should be little loss of flash output if the flash duration is short enough compared to the exposure time (with Quadra Action heads the 400Ws pulse has a 1/2800s t.5 duration; 1/5700s for 132Ws) or Nikon's speedlights (SB-5000 M1/1 1/980s,  1/5160s at M1/8 and so on), I would imagine 1/1000s should still work nicely. So with the Hasselblad's CS lenses you should be able to accomplish similar things in terms of balancing flash with daylight using a smaller flash unit that has 1/10 of the output than what you would need with the Fuji's focal plane shutter. Of course, if you need a lot of depth of field then this consideration may not be primary, but for individuals and couples, there is not so much depth of field needed, and so a small flash can be sufficient.

Thus the use of a central shutter translates into lighter lighting gear, which is important when working outdoors on a hot July day. Carrying heavy flash gear, stand, modifier, and the necessary sand bag around when shooting the formals in the summer heat can mean I will be sweaty the whole day afterwards and my cameras will feel sticky the rest of their lives. With the Hasselblad, a much lighter flash could do the job; problem solved; no sticky cameras and a less sweaty photographer.

High speed sync solves the other problem which is how to get access to wide apertures when shooting with flash and bright ambient light, but it's not the problem which I have.

Quite a lot of wedding photographers seem to solve the portability issue by simply using straight head on flash on a stand without modifiers, to avoid the effects of wind and to get enough light to balance with sunlight, but I reject the hard light of direct flash even as fill, it doesn't provide proper gradations on faces and 3D features of the subjects.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2017, 12:39:02 »
Anyway, perhaps Fuji makes a couple of central shutter lenses with AF on the GFX in the future. If they do, most of my reservations about the product go away.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 14:01:50 »
Okay, but using high speed sync (or Nikon's Auto FP sync) at faster sync speeds than the one supported natively by the mechanical focal plane shutter you lose one stop of light for every stop that you go above the sync speed, i.e., with the Fuji's 1/125s sync speed, a 400Ws unit effectively becomes a 200Ws at 1/250s, 100Ws at 1/500s, and so on. With a central shutter such as the ones in Hasselblad's X series lenses there should be little loss of flash output if the flash duration is short enough compared to the exposure time (with Quadra Action heads the 400Ws pulse has a 1/2800s t.5 duration; 1/5700s for 132Ws) or Nikon's speedlights (SB-5000 M1/1 1/980s,  1/5160s at M1/8 and so on), I would imagine 1/1000s should still work nicely. So with the Hasselblad's CS lenses you should be able to accomplish similar things in terms of balancing flash with daylight using a smaller flash unit that has 1/10 of the output than what you would need with the Fuji's focal plane shutter. Of course, if you need a lot of depth of field then this consideration may not be primary, but for individuals and couples, there is not so much depth of field needed, and so a small flash can be sufficient.

Thus the use of a central shutter translates into lighter lighting gear, which is important when working outdoors on a hot July day. Carrying heavy flash gear, stand, modifier, and the necessary sand bag around when shooting the formals in the summer heat can mean I will be sweaty the whole day afterwards and my cameras will feel sticky the rest of their lives. With the Hasselblad, a much lighter flash could do the job; problem solved; no sticky cameras and a less sweaty photographer.

High speed sync solves the other problem which is how to get access to wide apertures when shooting with flash and bright ambient light, but it's not the problem which I have.

Quite a lot of wedding photographers seem to solve the portability issue by simply using straight head on flash on a stand without modifiers, to avoid the effects of wind and to get enough light to balance with sunlight, but I reject the hard light of direct flash even as fill, it doesn't provide proper gradations on faces and 3D features of the subjects.

I know!

That Is why I suggest to get an Elinchrom HS,,, No need for Leaf shutters and you can use AF,,,
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 17:04:41 »
Yes but the Quadra, battery, cord and head weigh about 3kg together, while an SB-5000 weighs about 500g.

I am planning on acquiring one Quadra high speed head later on; I already have the HS transmitter.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 20:21:45 »
Yeah 😊

Mike G

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2017, 20:41:37 »
Fuji have really attacked in style Sten, great choices!

I presume the X-T2 is being used to take the picture?

stenrasmussen

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 21:22:47 »
Fuji have really attacked in style Sten, great choices!

I presume the X-T2 is being used to take the picture?

Nah, the T2 was still in the box. Pic made with the iPhone 7 Plus.

bjornthun

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 22:15:57 »
Lots of goodies there, Sten. The Fuji attack seems conducted in the most stylish manner.  :)

That iPhone 7+ picture looks good.  :o

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 22:23:34 »
Hope you survived the attack, and that you recover to show us some pictures :)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2017, 00:52:02 »
Nice collection, Sten.

You need to add the Fuji EX-F500 flash, then you have HSS.
Anthony Macaulay

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 07:08:39 »
A nice collection indeed.  Enjoy!

But please tell us Sten, "how did you manage to smuggle this lot in past your wife/GFs watchful gaze"?  Or do you keep them at work? (Nah, just kidding!)
Hugh Gunn

stenrasmussen

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 07:13:36 »
Lots of goodies there, Sten. The Fuji attack seems conducted in the most stylish manner.  :)

That iPhone 7+ picture looks good.  :o

The 7 Plus is actually very, very capable.