Author Topic: Real retro - revisiting my youth!  (Read 1084 times)

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
Real retro - revisiting my youth!
« on: July 12, 2021, 20:54:31 »
Yep, I have finally acquired a Nikon FM and 50mm f2 lens as per original equipment - that's why I was asking about the sync cap!

Everything in working order except the plastic insert to the battery clip is missing and the light seal foam needs replacing.  :D

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Real retro - revisiting my youth!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 21:15:29 »
I'll recommend a Nikon AN-4B Nylon Neck Strap (Black) to finish the vintage look. Using small sewing scissors I remove the non-slip material that comes with the strap. This makes the strap soft, smooth and comfortable. I never hang a camera on my shoulder, only over my neck or across my shoulder. If you hang a camera on your shoulder I would not remove the non-slip material. I believe the AN-4B strap is age appropriate to your Nikon FM. I think I started using them on my Nikon F2As and FM2 bodies and every camera since.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 23:46:20 »
Oddly enough I never fitted the original strap that came with my first FM that got stolen in the 80's - so I still have it! It is currently attached to my D610 but I rarely use the strap because the 610 fits so easily in my fingers that I carry it in my hand most of the time.

What I can't remember is whether my original FM had the black plastic bits that fit on the triangular strap fittings....

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 05:01:23 »
Oddly enough I never fitted the original strap that came with my first FM that got stolen in the 80's - so I still have it! It is currently attached to my D610 but I rarely use the strap because the 610 fits so easily in my fingers that I carry it in my hand most of the time.

I often wrap the AN-4B around my wrist and hold my camera in my right hand. The strap should tighten around my wrist and keep the camera from falling to the ground.

Photos on the net show the Nikon FM with the plastic insert things so the camera probably came that way.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!