Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Leica Q - New full frame camera - Look and feel

(1/4) > >>

Erik Lund:
Yesterday I had the chance to fool around with the new Leica Q, it's like a young electronic cousin to the Leica M - It has it' look and feel from the Leica M series of cameras, all the way back to the film cameras so the handling is very familiar, now the differences;

First I was blown away by how far they have come with the electronic viewfinder, almost no time lack when moving the camera around or focusing clear bright view and OK in size.

The weight was surprising, about half of a Leica M9 with similar lens weights.

In stead of a thumb rest there is now a distinct groove for the thumb, worked OK, but it really needs a finger grip on the front for large hands.

The lens is internal focusing so no movement of any part of the lens, should give some resistance to the weather and dust.

The Focus ring has a simple lock to set it in auto Focus, the feel of the manual focus was very slick and well dampened, it was clear that it took little effort to move the internal focusing elements but it does it very smooth.

Aperture has a a Automatic setting with just a firm stop, no lock, it's similar to the old Canon F lenses if anyone still remembers them :) Again the aperture ring is dampened and with clear click stops, very smooth.

The Macro setting is controlled by rotating a ring at the lens base... You guessed it; dampened and with clear click stops, again very smooth.

Video establishes correct focus and exposure quite quickly , I'm no video geek but it seemed very capable.

Overall it's a very attractive camera to get into Leica full frame at a much lower cost than a new Leica M with lens; 1/3 the price, or as an addition to us old farts that just need a smallish camera to pocket during dinner and cocktails ;)

Pretty sure Leica has hit a home run with this one!

Bjørn Rørslett:
Does your final sentence imply you are actively studying the balance of your banking accounts now, Erik ??  ;D

Erik Lund:
Yes, I have just checked  ;) tricky part is that a Df is also on the same short list! :)

Frank Fremerey:
4000 Euros is a real bargain on a Leica with lens.

Might be my choice instead of the D5 if it is really as good as it seems to be.

Erik Lund:
If your thinking about it, yes then the Q is priced relatively well , and can be considered as a small EVF version of the M, if your a mirrorless fan :)

Regarding the finder, sure it could be larger and with better corner performance but the speed and crispness in most of the view is really good.

Another link to the M is the way cropping is viewed, similar to the OVF frame lines of the M you can get 35mm and 50mm lines displayed so you clearly see what is outside of the frame captured,  Nice for action and PJ style shooting.

The rear display is flush with the body and overall the design appears clean and simple just like an M and the fixed lens is similar but not identical to the M lenses the focus tap is less distinct in shape but the lens hood is sleek and well designed to protect against light and flare but also strong and protective of the front of the lens.

Only small dislikes;

The diopter adjustment is a little tiny and the finder eyepiece is a little strange and sticking out a little awkward.

On a side note; All the images of the Q Brochure are Copenhagen :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version