Author Topic: camera bag #972  (Read 5459 times)

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
camera bag #972
« on: December 18, 2016, 02:10:05 »
i'm sure many of us have gone through more camera bags than we have lenses or pairs of pants... in the search for the one "perfect" bag.

i've stopped taking quite so many lenses with me on any one outing, so i've been looking for something a little smaller and better looking than my latest standby, the thinktank urban disguise 50. that bag holds my d810 or d500 plus a 70-200, 24-70, and a couple primes, or other combinations like five primes and a body, or two bodies and a couple primes. it also fits my 12" macbook or 9.7" ipad pro, batteries, accessories, filters, passport, pens, cards, etc.

however, fully loaded, it's quite heavy and when it's not fully loaded, can be sort of lopsided. it's also pretty utilitarian looking, which is generally fine by me.

i noticed on ming thein's website a bag he was selling or promoting which was a collaboration with frankie falcon, an english bag maker. i don't like the style of their bags at all - maybe for this time last century! - but they do seem very well made and nicely detailed. i ordered one of these mt/ff bags and it arrived a few weeks ago:

shown here open with the 19mm pc-e, d810 with 105 f/1.4 mounted, and 20 f/1.8 hiding in the third compartment:

there are two flat pockets, one "inside" the top cover, good for batteries, cards, small accessories:

the one on the rear is flat and open at all times, but sized well for a 9.7" ipad pro:

a 12" macbook fits here but the top 1/2" or so is exposed.

the details are nice, black on black with grey stitching.

what i really disliked at first and am now just lukewarm to are the closures - after the no effort big velcro flap of the thinktank, these little button things are fussy:

they do seem effective though, bearing load when the bag is carried by the top handle rather than the shoulder strap. another nice touch is that the shoulder strap is VERY long, allowing lots of adjustability in a very straightforward way.

the bag is a little squarish in proportion - fairly deep relative to it's length and width, but overall i like the look of it and it's quite comfortable to walk around with in the city.

overall, i'm happy with it. i won't be getting rid of the thinktank but will probably use this one for local outings, trips that aren't only about photography, or just when i don't feel like bringing much gear.

any other tips for camera bags that don't "look like camera bags?"

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: camera bag #972
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:25:55 »
Just because a bag can hold enough gear to break your back does not mean you have to load it to capacity. For example in stead of a heavy zoom one might stuff in a light ripstop down vest: easy on the back, handy when the north wind blows.

Dave Hartman

I'm using a backpack with loops for film cans. :) I am interested in a bag so I'll have a look at the bag shown. I'd like a messenger bag with room for a full size dSLR and three lenses.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:31 »
i've stopped taking quite so many lenses with me on any one outing, so i've been looking for something a little smaller and better looking than my latest standby, the thinktank urban disguise 50. that bag holds my d810 or d500 plus a 70-200, 24-70, and a couple primes,

Oh, no, you still carry so many lenses!  :D

As I normally carry one body with a prime, I don't need any dedicated camera bag.  I carry an F64 quilted porch in my backpack to throw my combo into it.

what i really disliked at first and am now just lukewarm to are the closures - after the no effort big velcro flap of the thinktank, these little button things are fussy:

That may not look like a smart solution, but I would prefer it to the velcro.  I don't like that loud, tearing noise that velcro emits when it is opened.  The system on your bag enables you to operate much more silently.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 04:54:42 »
Ah, the never ending search for the perfect bag  ::) ,  It has become an even more crowded market with Kickstarter,  I do have more lenses than bags these days  :) .
I have quite a collection of ThinkTank gear from modular belt system to larger back packs to shoulder bags.  I have a smaller collection of Billinghams.  For some time the Hadley Pro was pretty much a favourite and some member of the family normally has the Hadley Small.

I have now moved to day backpacks and am using the TTP Trifecta 8 to carry up to two/three bodies (combo of Nikon/Sony/Olympus) and a lens or two for each body,  My wife is wise to shoot only her Olympus bodies/lenses.  She shoots many social events so she also has a collection of Fashion bags which work fine.

Several things learned:  Bags do not hold their value, all bags can get heavy, there are bags which cost as much as a good camera, there is no perfect bag.  A Vest is the one constant and my jeep is the other.  For bags which do not look like camera bags, I have a collection of inserts to use with School/Sports rucksacks (really cheap) .

Airlines have become a real pain in the backside  >:(
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 05:12:16 »
i figured there would be others on the Quest For The Perfect Bag...

i haven't tried the inserts yet. i'd actually really like to get a set for one of my more business like tumi or jack spade bags and have a totally inconspicous/professional looking system to take a large amount of gear from place to place :D

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 14:58:11 »
Tommie is 100% right. There is no such thing as a perfect camera bag. Not in this lifetime anyway (maybe if mobile phones with the fancy lens set takes over then yes)

I just the other day bought a new (as always) expensive bag only to realize - again - it has it's own limitations. It's also a carry bag but bigger and of course far too bloody heavy. But I look good when I wear it  ;D ;D ;D
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 15:15:19 »
"But I look good when I wear it "

That is a major aspect ...

Personally I am a fan of (blue) Domke bags, but the looks are not their strong side !! They can double as a knee protector or pillow in an emergency, though. When sundry smaller items fall through the inevitable holes in the canvas fabric, it is time to get a new one.

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:38:50 »
Personally I am a fan of (blue) Domke bags, but the looks are not their strong side !! They can double as a knee protector or pillow in an emergency, though. When sundry smaller items fall through the inevitable holes in the canvas fabric, it is time to get a new one.

those look like nice bags. i wonder if the obnoxious black and red logo is removable without undoing the seams on the pocket flap?

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 18:41:27 »
that looks very similar to a bag a friend of mine uses, though I think his may be all leather.  Fairly inconspicuous, I think. 

I've been using Sagebrush Dry Goods bags for a few years now (no affiliation).  I have 2, one with a camera insert.  They're a good balance of protection and ease of access and are fairly bombproof (so far).  I have no worries when I'm fishing wading until the bag is getting wet.  Of course, I check that it's sealed almost every time I close the zipper.  Made by some hippies in Alaska!  Don't bother them during blueberry season as they're out picking!!!   ;D

http://www.sagebrushdrygoods.com/2014-12-02-00-51-38/hip-deck-pack.html

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 21:26:31 »
There is a nice thread on camera bags here with some insights:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1064.60.html

I keep using the Ortlieb gym bag approach and I love it :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 21:48:18 »
those look like nice bags. i wonder if the obnoxious black and red logo is removable without undoing the seams on the pocket flap?

There is just a tiny label logo on the inside of the flap, like a laundry tag and if required can be cut away. Thus not visible at all under normal use on my Domke.

Perhaps they have changed their design? Wouldn't be the first time good products were compromised.