Author Topic: Black Friday Fuji temptations  (Read 6942 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Black Friday Fuji temptations
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 04:20:51 »
Lars, Thanks for reminding me of the rubber band "fix".  I keep meaning to try it, but now I will!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Mike G

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 08:23:54 »
The lake and sky shot is really super! The tree shot is one of those where the more you look at it the more you see, and it's association with H C Andersen is very interesting, super!

My 23mm 1.4 Aperture ring has a light touch but is not too bad, I think the problem relates to the early lenses of which I believe the 14mm is one! It's something that Fujifilm needs to address in updating these lenses, I can imagine how annying it could be. My 16mm is not very loose thankfully but could do with being tweaked as these lenses are produced, one would hope there is an ongoing design review of Fuji products. I wonder if the new lock feature added to the X-T2 is an attempt to get at what is definitely a let down with Fujinon lenses?

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 18:07:44 »
You're welcome Keith .. I will probably give it a chance myself.

The lake and sky shot is really super! The tree shot is one of those where the more you look at it the more you see, and it's association with H C Andersen is very interesting, super!

My 23mm 1.4 Aperture ring has a light touch but is not too bad, I think the problem relates to the early lenses of which I believe the 14mm is one! It's something that Fujifilm needs to address in updating these lenses, I can imagine how annying it could be. My 16mm is not very loose thankfully but could do with being tweaked as these lenses are produced, one would hope there is an ongoing design review of Fuji products. I wonder if the new lock feature added to the X-T2 is an attempt to get at what is definitely a let down with Fujinon lenses?

Thanks Mike!

I did consider that it's probably an early copy of the 14mm I've purchased and whether I should wait for one with a more tight aperture ring. But I've already waited a long time to get my hands on one at the price I paid - who knows when a better one comes by. I can probably get used to it. I've seen that there are people who modify the lens themselves to fix it .. not ready for that yet  :-\

How does the Lock feature work on the X-T2?

Mike G

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 18:56:32 »
Only had a quick look see, but not used it yet, but as far as I can tell every control can be selected to be locked. And the lock can be ascribed to a function button, wether that can act as a toggle I haven't worked out yet, to save delving into the menus! I hope it will as that would be logical, otherwise it means tackleing the menus!

Mike G

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 20:23:29 »
Lars, had a further look at the lock setting which when assigned to a function button it acts as a shortcut to the menu and allows access to allow any setting in the camera, which can be individually selected or all of them. After which you may select the lock function, not forgetting not to lock the allocated function button otherwise it is necessary to delve into the menus to turn the lock off, PHEW

When you have the camera in your hands it is easier to do than explain! 

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 20:03:30 »
Thanks Keith and Mike for your comments on the aperture ring - last week I had the chance to compare my 14mm with a brand new one and the aperture ring of the new one was noticeably better. Probably like the 23/1.4 both of you mentioned.

Lars, had a further look at the lock setting which when assigned to a function button it acts as a shortcut to the menu and allows access to allow any setting in the camera, which can be individually selected or all of them. After which you may select the lock function, not forgetting not to lock the allocated function button otherwise it is necessary to delve into the menus to turn the lock off, PHEW

When you have the camera in your hands it is easier to do than explain! 

Mike - sorry for the late reply. I was pretty sure I had answered this but I've probably forgot to press "Post"  :(

I'm not going to have that camera in my hands for now .. it would probably be too hard to resist keeping it! If I understand you correctly the X-T2 has a feature assign a function button to e.g. lock the chosen aperture setting and hence bypassing the selected value on the aperture ring? Anyway.. I'm going to get a rubber band for now and not the X-T2  ;D

I ended up returning the X-T1 - unfortunately. Too many pixel errors on the sensor (e.g. at iso 1600) and I couldn't get a confirmation from Fujifilm that they were able to fix it before my purchase cancellation period ran out. Too bad. 

The 14mm is staying with me .. here are some shots from late afternoon close to sundown.       

Mike G

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 20:22:34 »
Lars no sweat I do that a bit too. I reckon it would be difficult to put an X-T2 down after a session in the hand!

There should be lots of X-T1s out there since the launch of the X-T2. Maybe keep looking!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 10:12:56 »
Sorry to hear that! I hope you find a better copy next time! - There should be many of these around ;)
Erik Lund