Author Topic: to Mail or to Mac mail - NOT  (Read 15898 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: to Mail or to Mac mail - NOT
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2016, 10:11:12 »
It sounds like you need a full time filling clerk.

Dave who needs a full time proofreader.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:29 »
It sounds like you need a full time filling clerk.

Dave who needs a full time proofreader.

I need a lot of things....
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2016, 11:25:38 »
It seems I am stuck with Mail - so I have to learn to manage it better.
I will from now on export every damn important mail (and there are plenty) as PDF's to my specific folders (and there are plenty of those too)
Just have to organise my workflow better and get on with it.

What I do find frustrating - when I search for a specific mail - I can't find it - yet it's there - it's just not picked up with the search. If I srearch ALL - it's not picked up - yet when I search "SENT" - it's there.  Searching manually thru hundreds of mails is not a viable option.

You can easily file emails in individual Mailboxes (i.e. subfolders) within Mail.  I do that all the time.  No need to use pdfs (which are not easily searchable).  Hover the pointer over Mailboxes at the top of the sidebar, press "+" and create new Mailboxes wherever you like within the Mail structure.  Then just drag and drop emails to file them in the Mailbox or Mailboxes you want to use for the relevant topic.

I think Mail can do everything you want, based on your comments here. 
Anthony Macaulay

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:19 »
You can easily file emails in individual Mailboxes (i.e. subfolders) within Mail.  I do that all the time.  No need to use pdfs (which are not easily searchable).  Hover the pointer over Mailboxes at the top of the sidebar, press "+" and create new Mailboxes wherever you like within the Mail structure.  Then just drag and drop emails to file them in the Mailbox or Mailboxes you want to use for the relevant topic.

I think Mail can do everything you want, based on your comments here.

Anthony - I am already using file folders. For me the PDF's do work - I just have to Do it. time consuming but at least I know where to find them then
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 21:12:51 »
For my next trick...

For my next trick I tried importing all of my Thunderbird email into Apple Mail running on El Capitan 10.11.6. It worked but the import is really, really lame. It imported multiple email addresses with multiple folders into just two folders in Apple Mail. This would be totally useless to me. I'd spend the next decade sorting the mail into the appropriate folders as it was in Thunderbird.

I tried briefly to import those two huge folders into another profile in Thunderbird and got some error message. The import didn't happen. I don't think Thunderbird recognized a proper Apple Mail account in the imported mail.

I'll continue to experiment with Apple Mail but I don't think I'm at all likely to use it in the future.

Dave Hartman

---

My assessment so far is NOT to Apple Mail.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 21:35:51 »
David you are a die hard  ;D ;D MUCH more energy that I have. I don't particularly like the Thunderbird layout  - not as much as I like Apple Mail. And I have issues getting it set up to my liking. Feels like I will spend 12 months getting that sorted. Not worth it.

Anthony - you are right - Mail does almost everything I want. Almost. I use the mailboxes extensively and like them a lot. I also have folders for some subjects - which I also use a LOT. Conversations I hate, and search fails me - obviously that might be my error - I just don't know what I am doing wrong to loose mails or not being able to find them even if they are there.

I do legal work as well - so I have say 50 clients. Each with their own folders in documents. I correspond with them. So what I now do - every time I have a (worth saving) email - I export that mail as a PDF into that clients folder. Takes a few seconds extra every time - but it is do-able. I do that from time to time anyway - now I just have to be diligent and do it more consistently. Actually will make it a LOT easier finding some of the mails.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 05:02:19 »
I've installed Thunderbird 45.4.0 but I can't find where Thunderbird hides my profile in OS X 10.11.6. I had hoped to copy my mail folder complete from Win7. I cannot finding it where the Web says it should be.

Dave

If you have or haven't been successful with this:

In Tbird go to Help->Troubleshootung Information look for the tab that indicated Profile Folder and click the button to "Show Folder". Note that this doesn't show you a link to where the folder is located, it just opens the folder in whatever is your default file explorer program(ie. in Win10 Windows Explorer).

But I'd recommend that if you want to sync or move Tbird profiles between OSes .. then you're better off using the import/export tool.

Tools-> ImportExportTools-> Export profile(from Windows) .. to somewhere that is shareable between both OSes.
What it does is to copy that profile's entire folder contents to a location of your choosing and names it with your profiles orginal name plus the date and time it was exported .. it'll make sense once Thunderbird recovers from creating it(ir will become unresponsive and appear to throw an errors, but should be ok!) then navigate to the path you set the profile backup and you should see your backed up profile folder.

hope that works.

Arthur

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2016, 11:21:14 »
I'm currently using Newton by Cloudmagic. I like it but they changed it to be a subscription style and too expensive I think. I bought it before the switch, so I got a 1 year subscription. I'll be switching to something else when that runs out. I've heard good things about Airmail. On my iPhone I use Spark.
Jørgen Ramskov

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2016, 20:17:05 »
arthurking83,

Thanks!

I finally found the profile using Help> Troubleshooting information>. The problem was out of date articles that didn't contain this simple source. These articles often do not give the date written or the version of Thunderbird they apply to or the OS.

Dave

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 22:08:49 »
Spark is now available for MacOS as well: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1176895641?mt=12

I might very well switch to it.
Jørgen Ramskov