Reviews > Ramblings of the Fierce Bear of the North

The fallacy of using long lens technique (LLT) at slow shutter speeds

<< < (2/5) > >>

Frode:
Bjørn, I've got the AFS 200 2.0 VR (first version), do you have a suggestion what to do to improve the tripod collar on this len.

I must say I was thrilled to see this new website. Keep up the good work!

Erik Lund:
The lens collar of the first 200mm AFS is not too bad! A sturdy plate and head/tripod is all that is needed for low light shooting.

Bjørn Rørslett:

--- Quote from: Frode on June 29, 2015, 07:43:40 ---Bjørn, I've got the AFS 200 2.0 VR (first version), do you have a suggestion what to do to improve the tripod collar on this len.

I must say I was thrilled to see this new website. Keep up the good work!

--- End quote ---

This is my own sample of the AFS 200 mm f/2. The tripod mount has been strengthened by using a thick aluminium piece fastened by long screws going into the original structure. But as the factory design basically is flawed, and replacing the entire rotating collar is out of the question, one cannot really solve the inherent deficiency only alleviate some of the worst drawbacks.

Having a torsionally rigid tripod and a tripod head that couples tightly without adding its own zones of weakness are almost mandatory for long lens usage. A good system should be reliable even at critically slow speeds.

elsa hoffmann:
I never understood how important a tripod collar really is, since I dont shoot long. Much learned here.

Bjørn Rørslett:
The support issues start appearing with 200 mm class of lenses (FX format) and from there on get progressively worse. Probably by a factor of the (ratio of focal lengths) squared. Thus, a 400 mm lens is at least 4 times more susceptible to support inadequacies as a 200 mm on its own.

Then, of course, you have to add the adverse impact of heat waves and air turbulence that can kill lens sharpness and make even a $10.000 lens deliver soft mush. But these factors aren't really a flaw of the lens, just the photographer not understanding what physical constraints one has to battle with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version