Images > Nature, Flora, Fauna & Landscapes

IR Filter Comparison for Landscape Photography

(1/2) > >>

bobfriedman:
a while back in 2011 i compared scene renderings using RG-610/630, RG-712, RG-850, RG-1000 and UG-1 filters.

Using scenes from my favorite IR environment at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA..

The following link contains 17 sequences of filter comparison   http://www.pbase.com/bobfriedman/filter_comparison_mtauburn

an example of one sequence out of the 17 is below.. .

with images having sufficient red swapped with blue :

RG-610

RG-715

RG-850

RG-1000

UG-1

Bjørn Rørslett:
Many scenes do not change much over the NIR band. Thus it's not really surprising to observe that the main influence is getting more even distribution over the channels (meaning sooner or alter there is no red to swap for blue as both are virtually identical) because the Bayer dyes get increasingly trasparent. The sky will darken as well, if you are away from urban environments with their ever-prevailing atmospheric dust and haze.

I was surprised by the colour hues present in the UG1 capture, though. Not using this filter myself, only the B+W 403, that I thought would be more or less the same. Obviously it isn't.

When you do narrow-band IR stacks, sometimes you come across subjects for which the spectral proiperties change rapidly across NIR. Then you can get quite unexpected colour combinations. Such irregularities are rarely captured or recognised when one uses the normal broad long-pass IR filters.

bobfriedman:
probably not the best sequence to have picked for the UG-1 (looks like a tad overexposed).. perhaps this one is better.. the UG-1 can be a bit tricky to get WB and color right.

RG-630

RG-715

RG-850

RG-1000

UG-1

bobfriedman:
one of my best UG-1 shots at this location was..

Frank Fremerey:
As someone with no experience in the field I feel the shots to show a characteristic distinction from filter to filter.

Thank you Bob for showing it to me cluelessly curious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version