Author Topic: Fifty Recommendation  (Read 8490 times)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Fifty Recommendation
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 12:48:28 »
 To Charlie - One of the best psychological portraiture series what I have ever seen... Doesn't matter what lens was in use, all of them used artistically! Even if I or someone else knows which lens for each person, we can't repeat. It's unique! Well done, really! LZ

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 15:59:46 »
Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 Nokton is really good.
Zeiss' Milvus and Makro-Planar 50mm is also a great all around lens.
If you want a rather cheap one, the 50/1.8 or 1.4 MF lenses from Nikon are great too, just make sure it's converted.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V3 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2016, 18:02:36 »
Charlie, you are so good at this stuff! Love these enviro-portraits. And now understand your need for a 50.  8)

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 21:30:25 »
With out further ado...  :)

So your only real question was target at flare resistant.

All of these posted portraits are top notch! Where the back ground really adds to the image Beautiful and lovely! I'm a big fan of environmental portraits ;) Especially seeing your work.

Yes, mostly. Flare resistance and I didn't mention it but character is important as well.

The 50/1.4 AFD is a fine lens though it flares and has a tendency for CA that I could live with out. I let a friend borrow it and they turned the focus ring with out switching the manual focus switch on the camera and it must have stripped the focus helicoid of the lens. Sometimes it has trouble with auto focus in the near range now. There is a scratch on the front element and the filter threads are damaged. Its old & beat up and I'm still happy with it for the most part, but also interested in alternatives when the time comes to replace it. 

I love the character of the 35/1.4 AIS wide open and up close, it sometimes looses its charm when the aberration induced soft focus effects appear at medium and further focus distances, unless stopped down of course.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 21:31:46 »
Micro Nikkor 60mm AFS, AF-D or 55mm Ais Ai would be a good start

Still stands then,,, ;)
Erik Lund

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 21:34:42 »
Still stands then,,, ;)

Right.

Your portraits are fantastic!
You don't need a new lens, just continue to do whatever you have been doing thus far and treat yourself with an 85/1.4 to complement your 35/1.4 nicely :)

Thank you sir. An 85mm would be nice, but I've been eyeballing that 135mm DC thanks to you're musings with it!

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 22:55:03 »
Right.

Thank you sir. An 85mm would be nice, but I've been eyeballing that 135mm DC thanks to you're musings with it!

Charlie, you will need both the 85/1.4 AF-D and 135/2.0 DC, and then you will NOT need the 105/1.4 :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 09:09:37 »
Great portraits, Charlie.

Apart from what already have been said, I like the 55mm f/1.2 and the 80mm f/2.8 also for portraits.              (In addition to the Voigtlander 58/1.4 and the 85/1.4)