Author Topic: Mark Wallace  (Read 3667 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Mark Wallace
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 03:29:28 »
Well, my second thought tells me that this is the perfect way to make us want to watch ALL the videos from SA:

The first and second parts without Elsa, the third part with Elsa but no voice and the last part with Elsa finally to have something to say.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 07:00:20 »
Well, my second thought tells me that this is the perfect way to make us want to watch ALL the videos from SA:

The first and second parts without Elsa, the third part with Elsa but no voice and the last part with Elsa finally to have something to say.  :D

;D ;D ;D ;D You are making the assumption that you are going to see further episodes   :P

very good point about the speaking part Dave - I have been thinking exactly that too
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 07:54:33 »
Well done Elsa!
Erik Lund

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 07:57:08 »
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 15:55:12 »
I loved watching this, Elsa. And, as always, your photos are top notch. Great video work too. Your view from your house is fantastic.
I've heard from multiple videographers that the Panasonics are excellent for video work.
Peter

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 18:08:57 »
Thank you for the kind words Peter :)

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 14:53:55 »
Elsa, these videos are not shaky at all! You should see mine.

Love the view from Signal Hill. That spot must be very close to where I took some of my night shots from in April? Next to the road, just down-hill of the Armco?

Funny you say that about Rhino and Buffalo, my experience is the opposite. I have found Buffalo to be fairly placid for the most part. Several times I have been litterally inside herds of several hundred animals, without ever feeling very threatened, whereas Rhino have charged me for no apparent reason from fairly long distances at times. Of course, if a buffalo is wounded it's a very different story!

I also have a question though: In almost every photo, he cuts the top of the model's head off. As a bird photographer, this would be seen as a cardinal sin, but it seems that some photographers do this as a rule? Am I the only person bothered by this?

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 15:03:45 »
The video was shot on Signal Hill, just before taking the bend to go around to the parking lot. So kind of the last vantage point shooting the mountain.

It is accepted practice - and part of many photographer's styles - to cut off the top of the head of any subject. I seldom do it anymore - dont quite know why - but with close up's especially that is fine. Half body portraits - there is doesnt work for me at all.

Just found this:
10 most dangerous animals in Africa: The Cape Buffalo is a safe bet for number ten. They are credited with killing about 200 people a year – and are said to be the biggest killers of ‘big game hunters’ in the world. An adult male can be more than 700kg (1,540lbs) and even a lion hesitates to attack one on his own. Also, buffalo are usually to be found in large intimidating herds, that will mob any threat to their young.

re shaky video - I dont even want to think what the last 3 will be like - at some point the elephant literally pushed me out of the way and I couldnt zoom out enough while it was right in front of me - it was quite funny - so I hope the footage will be too. But who knows....

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 15:35:00 »
Yes, that is pretty much where this photo was taken from.

Pity there were no pretty yellow flowers around at the time though.

Guess I should have gone back at daybreak?

While I have seen videos of buffalo herds tackling (and even killing) lion, I have never seen or heard of this happening with people.

It is certainly a dangerous animal to hunt, but to my knowledge it really only becomes dangerous if either wounded or surprised at very close distance. When wounded, it may become vindictive and there are many recorded instances of buffalo ambushing it's hunters. I have even seen this (or at least the footprints) myself, although the buffalo died before the hunter sprung the trap. I am fairly sure that the reason it kills the most hunters is because it is by far the most commonly hunted of the so-called dangerous game.

Be warned though that any wild animal can be dangerous. There are also many records of much smaller animals (for example Bushpig, Bushbuck and Warthog) killing people. But I am sure you know this already.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2016, 16:01:50 »
Your comment about going back is exactly the kind of thing I have in mind - when working a scene.