Author Topic: Local Fruit Stall  (Read 1931 times)

Mike G

Re: Local Fruit Stall
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 09:20:43 »
Mongo, I have no idea how much the figs were, I'll have to have a gander next time I see the stall!

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Mike G

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 12:27:41 »
Mongo, I checked in my local supermarket and Figs were three for a pound, there wasn't a kilo price!

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 20:08:29 »
Hi Mike
          Another nice image, we are both familiar with, but has caught the attention of others.
          Rhubarb is a big favourite in the UK, probably for the same reasons Carrot cake is so popular, A wartime staple.
          I think it is successful as well as it can be grown using no natural light, it can be set in a dark room with a small artificial light.
          The term for rhubarb grown using this method is "Forced Rhubarb".
          Rhubarb is  commonly seen as a trimmed stalk, with a variation of pale green to a deep rouge in colour along the length of the stem.
          It has a similar make up as Cerlery and also has the stringiness when cutting into it. It is tart in its taste, this bitterness is usually
          balanced by using it with another sweeter fruit and sugar. As was mentioned earlier, a Rhubard Crumble or Rhubarb and Apple/ 
          Strawberry/ Blackberry/ Raspberry/ Ginger Crumble. All crumbles have a very sweet crumbed pastry on top that absorb the sweet
          juices and after baking will have a golden granular crust. This dish will often be offered with Custard, or Cream. It serves very well
          both hot and cold.
           On another note are you feeling hungry. 

My late father was a rhubarb farmer, and I was brought up on a rhubarb farm (other products were grown as well).

Forced rhubarb is considerably superior to outdoor grown rhubarb.  The darkness results in no photosynthesis, and the heat and moisture cause the rhubarb to grow quickly, which means that it is young and tender when harvested.  It is not stringy.  I never buy outdoor rhubarb - too fibrous and a harsher flavour.

I recommend adding orange to rhubarb, particularly in a crumble.  I enjoy this with Greek yoghurt, not available when I was young.

Rhubarb and Carrot Cake are both popular today because they are delicious.
Anthony Macaulay

Mike G

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 20:27:50 »
 Never tried RC with orange, I will recommend this to my chef(daughter).  :D

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 23:21:58 »
Mongo, I checked in my local supermarket and Figs were three for a pound, there wasn't a kilo price!

WOW ! that would seem even dearer than here. They should list fresh figs on the stock exchange just below gold but just above crude oil ! or we should all start growing these instead of flowers.

Big thanks Mike for looking into the price. It is a real eye opener and at times, a simple indicator of the similarities and differences between countries. 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 23:32:24 »
About $0.40 (USD) per fig? Ouch! I shouldn't have let the fig beetles eat the figs off my friend's tree. Think of all the money I could have saved!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!