Author Topic: Medium Format Lens on 35mm Bodies  (Read 6136 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Medium Format Lens on 35mm Bodies
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:17 »
Pentax 645 does not have interchangeable backs. There is a digital Pentax 645z camera which uses the same lenses.

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 23:44:46 »
Are there digital backs for Pentax 645 cameras that mortals can afford?

Around 2009 there were pictures of a "Super Image" digital insert for the Pentax 645 floating around, but I don't know if it ever made it out of the prototype/vaporware stage.  KEH wants $2800 for an EX+ 645D, and if you're willing to gamble on eBay they can be had for $2200-$2500 in reasonable condition.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 00:48:58 »
I haven't gotten to the selling part yet. I'll probably re-shoot a couple of things first as they were covered in more dust than I thought (digital shots reveal every speck). I always go to ebay (USA) for the current market price. I don't expect to get too much for them. What kit do you have? I have manual focus 45, 75, 120 macro, 150 and AF 300/5.6 with Pentax 645NII.

I know what you mean about colour slides ... I don't have a projector for my 645 slides but I do have one for my 35mm pictures. Shooting colour slides with a manual camera can be an exercise in frustration - mis-focused shots, exposure errors, camera shake etc - but when a picture turns out right, it really sings!

Roland, Mongo has just the straight 645 film camera (non AF), a 35mm f3.5, 45mm f2.8, 75mm f2.8, 120mm f4, 150mm f3.5, a X2 converter (its big!), large side flash bracket, 2 X 280T flash units and a bunch of other specific cables etc.

I have the manual focus 45mm, 135mm LS, and 200mm f/4, plus a 300mm f/4 from the Pentax 67 line.  In autofocus, I've got the 75mm, 120mm macro, and the 45-85mm and 80-160mm zooms.  I hope to shoot some 120mm with the 645n this fall.  Alas, the 135mm LS doesn't work as a leaf shutter lens on the Nikon adapter.  And while I've gotten some nice results with the 120mm macro with the adapter, unless my 105mm VR is out on loan there's no real reason to use it that way.

So to me, medium format adapters are pretty much like a dancing horse.  It's interesting that they can "dance" at all, but not an ability with a lot of real-world application.

Thanks benveniste. What you say about dancing horses is largely true. However, there are some small exceptions sometimes and maybe limited to just, say, one favourite/special lens like the 120 macro. It is the same reason why some people own a modern Porsche but still , every weekend or so) like to drive that old and pampered MG they keep in the garage. 

Roland and benveniste, not sure if the digital back will fit and work on a manual 645. Even if it did, it has to be very affordable to make the exercise worth while including the price and availability of any Pentax specific software needed. Mongo had given up on this when backs were $10,000. However, it may be worth while if the working digital back came in at about $2000 or so. The resolution need not be crazy high - just enough to do a good job. Additionally, it would be of no use to Mongo for birding, sports etc but would be for macro, portraits and landscape work only. May look into this based on the information you have kindly provided.

thanks from Mongo