Author Topic: An NG Meet-up to the Orkney Islands in 2017?  (Read 11135 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: An NG Meet-up to the Orkney Islands in 2017?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 16:24:58 »
An NG event on Orkney does not prevent future events in other places in the country (or in UK) . Scotland has much to offer.

Experiences from an earlier meet-up only indicate the NG members are capable of making such events highly enjoyable. The next time might even be "better".

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 16:29:07 »
If there is a desire among members to return to Scotland I would be delighted, and will help in any way I can. Orkney, Skye and the Inner/Outer Hebrides could all provide a superb experience, though all three possibilities are very different from each other.

What I don't want is to get involved in an "a is better than b is better than c" type argument. All three locations are wonderful in the right weather; I have been to them all, many times; I know them all well, and I love them equally. There are three things which have to be decided - do we want to have a second event here? where? and when? I'll try to give whatever information I can, to help members decide, but I'm not going to enter the discussion/argument myself - I'll go along with the group decision and will help to organise the event, wherever that might be.

The May 2016 event was so good, maybe it will be difficult to match. Expectations will be high, and any attempt to have a re-run might not work too well. Just a thought.

I would definitely go to Skye, not so sure I would take the time to go further afield.
Preferably out of the midge season, either in April-May (best period for god weather) or in October-ish (for colour and atmosphere)

I can help organizing Skye if you need.
Simone Tomasi

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 13:02:37 »
Orkney: september/october is important for my business, but if I can make it I will be in
Thomas Stellwag

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 15:10:17 »
Just seeing this post (After communicating sept 30 as date for Nikongear Photo Race. I do hope the race will not interfere with this plan otherwise we'll have to reschedule the NPR.

BTW: I will visit Scotland (mainland and Skye) early september. So I guess I'll miss both the good weather and the colours. But I am sure it will be unfortgettable anyway.
Peter

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 22:52:38 »
Just seeing this post (After communicating sept 30 as date for Nikongear Photo Race. I do hope the race will not interfere with this plan otherwise we'll have to reschedule the NPR.
BTW: I will visit Scotland (mainland and Skye) early september. So I guess I'll miss both the good weather and the colours. But I am sure it will be unfortgettable anyway.

Peter - I don't think you need worry - the Orkney idea has remained that - just an idea. I think only nfoto, Erik and I were definite with Anthony and simato as possibles. So the NPR is quite safe. And you are just as likely to get good weather in Scotland in September as in any other month. The key word is "changeable".

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 23:03:28 »
Orkney, Skye, Hebrides, Shetland, mainland Scotland - none of these will vanish into thin air no matter how the current 'brexit' ends up. I said it before and it can be repeated, 'I will be back'.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:53 »
Thank you.

David, it would be wonderful if you could attend the NPR too!

Btw, Shetland is high on my list too
Peter

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 10:40:03 »
David, it would be wonderful if you could attend the NPR too!
Btw, Shetland is high on my list too

Thanks, Peter, but my health is not great, these days. An enjoyable but stressful three consecutive days is the kind of thing I have to avoid, unfortunately.

I love the Shetland Isles - more wild and rugged than the Orkneys and with wonderful bird-life.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 11:47:56 »
sorry, posted in another thread.
Peter