Author Topic: Sharpness +9  (Read 8468 times)

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Sharpness +9
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 00:59:31 »
Akira, thank you for your reply.  I'm using the standard Landscape setting i.e. sharpening at 4.0 and clarity at +1.0. The purpose being solely to check the sharpness of the picture, as I also rely on the automatic WB.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 03:13:02 »
Christian, just tried the default LS.  The image looks sharp as it is, which looks, still to me, too good to check the focus.

I use Pucture Control "FL".  I set the sharpening to zero (which is lower than the default).  Other parameters are left as default.  The image looks very dull on LCD, but very good to check the focus of the reviewed image at 100%.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 09:12:49 »
I was referring to clarity and sharpness control in Camera  not in PP ....I know many photographers who were RAW fanatics who tell me don't bother any more just shoot JPEG.  I only put this on to say to the silent readers of the forum ...try JPEG  try sharpening you don't have to go with the herd.
So I have 40,000 large/JPEG/Basic wedding pics all with Halo and artefacts /over sharpened and hundreds of happy brides ...Strange that.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 09:42:05 »
I didn't even know there was in camera clarity settings.
My newest camera must be old.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 09:59:04 »
I recall the film days; Choose film grain, set aperture and shutter, get the prints, hand over to client. Once in a while order a large print,,,

Same thing more or less to shooting finished, sharpened etc. JPG out of the DSLR,,, If the client is happy you get paid ;) Glad it works for you!

On the same topic; Some of us enjoy Post Processing and see it just as challenging as shooting with the camera and when I shot film many years ago I scanned and did PP on some of those files as well ;)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 10:07:38 »
I was referring to clarity and sharpness control in Camera  not in PP ....I know many photographers who were RAW fanatics who tell me don't bother any more just shoot JPEG.  I only put this on to say to the silent readers of the forum ...try JPEG  try sharpening you don't have to go with the herd.
So I have 40,000 large/JPEG/Basic wedding pics all with Halo and artefacts /over sharpened and hundreds of happy brides ...Strange that.

I know.  I'm also aware that pro photgs specializing in certain fields are trained to offer SOOC JPEGs for the immediate professional use.

I didn't even know there was in camera clarity settings.
My newest camera must be old.

The oldest Nikon body that offered "clarity" (along with "flat" Picture Control) setting was D810.  In Capture NX-D, however, you can tweak "clarity" and select "flat" Picture Control for the RAW files of Nikon bodies older than D810.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 10:20:30 »
For occasional video shooting these in camera sharpness and clarity settings also come in very handy on the D810 ;)

I explored them to some extent shooting video with the 6mm Fisheye, the optimal settings varied a lot between scenes,,, the same was the case for still images when doing PP,,,

I guess that in camera sharpening value would be very different between the chosen lenses in general,,,
Erik Lund

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 08:51:14 »
While I am always willing to learn after 30 years photographing weddings there is not much I don't know on that subject but I am new to bird photography.
I noticed on shots from a recent trip that some feathers seemed blurred together and I put this down to using +9  (in camera) where normally invisible ringing blodged the feathers together ...a reduction to +6 for feathered birds seems appropriate .
On a bride we are not trying to see the weave in the dress fabric from 100 yards on an area about  8 inches square are we !!

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 09:45:52 »
Pistnbroke, you are the man shooting only JPEG, with clarity at 0, and sharpening at 9.  So be it. Amen. I also appreciated the plural "we", in your last sentence.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 19:55:12 »
Like I said always willing to learn ..may try RAW and JPEG on my next bird trip ..as for the weddings +9 large Basic