Author Topic: Drastic fine focus adjust  (Read 6402 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Drastic fine focus adjust
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 11:35:55 »
Well,,, if you replace the sensor/cover glass/AA filter pack you should also check/adjust the shim thickness on the camera and recalibrate the in-camera AF sensor correction values! - So effectively it's the identical to a lens!

Yes, you should never do this yourself! That's what I started out with stating in my first post  :o :o :o   ::) ::) ::)

too bad no shops will do that here in japan because it is very convenient to just pay Nikon to do it for you :o :o :o
i am sure somebody has that software somewhere.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 11:58:35 »
I see, like a lizard's tail :o :o :o

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2280430

if i am not mistaken, this is the post that started the minor panic ::)

it was early 2008.

i cannot reveal who told me but this part was silently reinforced by Nikon.

The lens is designed to break like this when it is exposed to strong impacts. There is no design error or flawed construction.

This saves the camera and in particular the mount and mirrorbox from damage. The broken lens is fixed on a Nikon repair centre in 10 minutes. They just put another rear part onto it and replace the broken signal cable.

I have a stack of the sheared-off rear parts provided to me by my Nikon repair tech. It is a source of spare bayonet mounts (and CPU contact blocks).

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 12:06:00 »
i am sure somebody has that software somewhere.

There is not only the dedicated software, but bespoke lens mount stands and sensors as well. I've seen the procedure conducted many times.