Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Nikon D800E Set Up Choices

<< < (2/5) > >>

Thomas Stellwag:
why do you use primary slot SD and 2nd for overflow?
I use primary slot CF (at least my feeling tells me it is faster access in both directions)
and 2nd slot for JPEGs, thus I have a backup and still a possibilty
to easily transfer a pic in place to most laptops, etc without
use of add. software

John Geerts:
I also use SD as primary, basically because the cards are easier to use in combination with the PC and other camera's  and a lot cheaper. Never noticed a difference in speed, but that is not really a priority for me.  The back up is for CF, however I wish that was a SD slot as well.

Ilkka Nissilä:
I use CF as primary on my D810 as I've lost several SD cards due to malfunction (3 cards in five years; in 12 years I've lost zero CF cards). Also I find the transfer to computer is faster with CF despite nominally faster SD cards. I suppose it can be a computer or reader issue but that's what I've experienced.

I hope the D810's successor has XQD/XQD or at least XQD/SD if they must support the cheap but poor longevity SD format. CF cards seem not to get new tech updates any more and I guess the broken pin problem means they should be phased out (though I've never experienced it; I don't insert anything by force). In my opinion the flexible chassis of SD cards is a bad thing. XQD has none of these problems and the IO is very fast.

charlie:
Last I checked they didn't make SD cards with a transfer rate as high as the fastest CF cards, that was a few years ago though. When shooting in Continuos High mode and the buffer fills a CF card will clear the buffer quicker than SD cards. In "normal" shooting it doesn't make a difference which card is shot to, with regards to speed. I suspect if an SD card had the same transfer rate as a CF card the speed would be equal. 

Mine is setup for CF Primary, SD Overflow.
All NEF files, video goes to the SD card.

Ilkka Nissilä:
My SD cards have a nominal speed 50% faster than my CF but in practice the CF transfers are faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version