Author Topic: Nikon D800E Set Up Choices  (Read 8102 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D800E Set Up Choices
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 21:57:14 »
Isn't the Df USB cable also different from D200/D700? Nikon uses at least four different USB connectors in their cameras, as far as I can tell.  ;)

However, if I'm not mistaken, the cable that fits the D200/D700 should also fit the D8x0 but then you only get USB 2 speed. Is this not correct?

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 22:03:37 »
That is not correct Ilkka.

"The UC-E14 is a USB 3.0 cable that is designed to be used when connecting the D800/800E cameras to a computer via USB connection."   Only that cable can be used. There is no other slot for USB transfer.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/cables-computer/uc-e14-usb-cable.html

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 22:37:19 »
Ok. I was told the usb 3 connector has two banks for the reason that one of them could take an usb 2 cable - but I had not checked which usb 2 it would have to be, or if it only works with a different usb 3 terminal (not the micro).

According to teathertools:

The D8x0 and D5 use USB 3 and share the same connector - Micro B.

The Df, D7200, D750 use USB 2 with Mini B 8 pin connector.

The D3400 uses USB 2 with Micro B 5 pin connector.

The D100/D200/D300/D600/D700/D1/D2/D3/D4 use USB 2 with Mini B 5-pin connector.

So in practice you just need a bunch of cables around to connect various cameras to computer via USB.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 22:41:14 »
All I know is that my D3 connects using the same mini USB cable I use for my external harddrives while the D80 uses a wider yet flatter USB 3 mini connector.

Since Kristina takes the SD card out of the D800 for file transfer I usually only bring the USB cable for the D3. Otherwise I would just search for a 50cm USB cable with the right connectors and add that to the camera bag
Buddy

Jan-Petter Midtgård

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 23:19:55 »
The right hand part of the micro usb 3 plug has the same pins as the micro usb 2 plug. This means that you can plug a usb 2 plug into that part of a usb 3 contact, but you will get only usb 2 speed. 

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 03:25:21 »
A quick overview of my main settings

-Shooting menu - shoot only in RAW - 14 bit uncompressed and never touch that option.
- White balance - Auto1   works very good.
- When I shoot Auto-ISO  (depending on the situation) I use max 6400 ISO and use the Auto Minimum shutter speed in case of automated lenses (which I adapt in speed based on each focal length), I adapt this for any other manual lens. In the case of the 36mp it is good to sit on the higher side regarding the shutter speed.

Custom menu
- Use auto focus on AF-ON only, and reframe a lot.
- Assigned the FN-button to MY Menu which I use a lot -- Auto-ISO control, NON-CPU lens data - Multiple Exposure Mode and ISO sensitivity I use most.

Note that I use a lot of manual lenses on the D800E. 

If you have some specific questions, just ask   ;)

Almost identical to my settings on the D800

on the personal menu I have the flash settings , so I can select to use the on camera flash as TTL or CLS controller
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 06:41:44 »
That has advantages but I like to add that the D800/E uses a completely different USB-cable, not compatible with D200/600/700 and Df.

The D800 and D800E use a standard USB3.0 type A to Micro-B cable not some proprietary cable. In spite of USB3 the transfer speed is not particularly fast from my D800 to my computer. A Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7)  for CF and SD is noticeable faster in the same USB3 port and uses the exact same USB3 cable.

Dave

---

Here is a link with photos and answers...

http://www.howtogeek.com/222400/do-usb-3.0-connections-require-usb-3.0-cables/

You cannot achieve USB 3.0 speeds without a USB 3.0 cable. However, speed is not the only issue.

A USB 2.0 cable will work (at USB 2.0 speeds), for some, but not all, USB 3.0 devices. There are at least three important differences in cable construction between the two standards...
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 07:36:37 »
I don't think anyone would choose the camera for the recording media.  The media you would use is totally up to the camera you choose.  You would have to live with it.   ;)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 17:52:37 »
Thank you Armando for your support.
I gave seen the thread has brought about a  discussion that seems to be based on Data Transfer speed.
It is a important subject for many and it becomes increasingly more important  when large amounts of image files need to be uploaded.
I have never filled a Card on a outing or spent a battery on one outing.
I am not above a minor card accident so the SD card is my card of choice when it come to removal and handling.
My CF Card has only been removed from the body 2-3 times.
Here is a thought I have had whilst pondering the latest replies in this thread.
This may work for those who do not fill cards on a outing and those who have concerns about damaging a CF card, but would like a fast upload time.
Use the  CF card as the Primary Card and have it backed up by the SD card.
This will allow the CF card to have the superior body interface and then when a session is over, the SD card can be removed and put into the computer, offering a fast upload time.
Any accident with the SD card will have the security of a CF back up.
When the upload is complete and files correctly stored the two card slots can be formatted ready for the next outing.
If extra speed is required during post check out FastRawViewer.
This really does offer what it says on the tin.

John Gallagher