Author Topic: New monitor  (Read 1973 times)

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
New monitor
« on: August 16, 2016, 20:23:54 »
I want to get a new monitor in the near future. At the moment I have got an old 22 inch monitor which isn't really very good. I'll be using the monitor both for postprocessing and for normal office tasks. I'm looking for a 24 inch monitor, with a resolution of 1920 x 1200. I also don't really want to spend more than something like 1000 euros maximum. Cheaper would be even better because I really want to buy a couple of lenses as well ... :-)

The problem is I don't really know all that much about monitors. Seems like an IPS panel is the way to go. Eizo is often mentioned as a good make. Does the CS2420 or the (slightly older) CS240 fit the bill? Or would an "office monitor" like the EV2455 be sufficient? I don't usually print my photos, most are just used on computers or the web. Are there any other makes I should look at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hermann

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: New monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 20:37:27 »
Hi Hermann,

have a look at the Dell U 2415. Costs less then 300€ and is for hobbyphotography really good. I sold mine because i just wanted more then 24 inch. ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 00:04:42 »
I have a HP 24 wide gamut IPS 1920x1200 ... very good calibrated ... was only 600 at the time of purchase
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 22:23:02 »
In the USA, NEC and Eizo are considered the "best" or "highest" makes.  Here, NEC is less expensive than Eizo.  I have heard that in Europe, Eizo is cheaper.  I can recommend NEC, based on my one copy of the now superseded PA271BK-SV, a 27", A-RBG capable, IPS monitor that came with an automated calibration solution.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 22:19:02 »
Thanks to those who replied. After visiting a couple of friends who do quite a lot of PP, I finally settled for a (cheapish) Eizo monitor. The difference compared to my old monitor is quite obvious. Nice, very nice.

Hermann