Author Topic: Double rainbow  (Read 2250 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Re: Double rainbow
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 10:10:51 »
Wonderful sky contrasting beautifully with the dark foreground.

(Akira - your images always make me homesick for Tokyo and Japan.)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 10:26:38 »
Impressive overview, Akira.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 10:47:34 »
Great cityscape. I like how the power line towers make my eyes pan back and forth.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 14:37:23 »
Dave, John and Sten, thanks for kind comments!

Dave, I'm not sure if I could be glad to make you homesick.  But I would take that as compliment.

John, glad you like it.

Sten, I always try to utilize pylons as accents in my panos, as they are not removable.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 16:14:02 »
All rainbows are double.  The primary rainbow is at 42 degrees from the anti-solar point, and the outer or secondary rainbow is at 51 degrees.  The secondary rainbow is always broader and less bright than the primary rainbow, so it is often hard to see.  Note that the colours are reversed - in the inner rainbow red is on the outside and on the outer rainbow it is on the inside. 

There are also third and fourth order rainbows, but they are seen in the other direction, towards the sun, and are centred on the sun so they are hard to see and harder to photograph - the first photograph of a third order rainbow was made only in 2011! 

Two other phenomenon Akira's picture illustrates is that the the sky within the primary rainbow is brighter than the rest of the sky, and that the sky between the primary and secondary rainbows is darker than the rest of the sky (this is called "Alexander's dark band"). 

Thanks Les for the explanation.  I took this shot with my phone in May of this year.   I had never noticed Alexanders band nor that the colors of the primary and secondary rainbows are reversed.  I call it "the pot of gold is at the mouth of the canyon". 

Lowell
Lowell Harris

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 20:02:48 »
Thanks Les - very interesting information which will make me look at rainbows differently in future!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 02:43:31 »
Lowell, thanks for posting an illustrative image.  The difference between inside and outside the main rainbow is very obvious, although the Alexander's dark band may not be all that darker than the outside of the second rainbow.

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 20:47:21 »
Lowell, thanks for posting an illustrative image.  The difference between inside and outside the main rainbow is very obvious, although the Alexander's dark band may not be all that darker than the outside of the second rainbow.
Akira,   I had never noticed that the area to the to the left ( in this shot) is darker nor that there is a Alexander's band.   Once I new the name of the band, google and Wikipedia come into play.  Wikipedia mentions that the relative darkness of the band is controlled by the background lighting.  In the examples shown the their, the relative "darkness" of the band is more or less pronounced by the specifics of the lighting.  All really fascinating and what a resource in the internet.

Lowell
Lowell Harris

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 20:58:29 »
Lowell, when one is going to make an important decision, the info on the Wiki should be double-checked using other sources.  That said, it is true that Wiki offers chances to learn something new!