Author Topic: AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E to be announced  (Read 76639 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E to be announced
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2016, 14:27:03 »
Frank, Grays of Westminster have it for 1,790 Pounds and they will send it to you but you pay the shipping cost.  They've sent a lot of gear to me, ex-Vat  ;) .  So the Amazon price at 1,799 Pounds is probably correct but that is over 2000 Euros ???.
If B. R. doesn't delete the link  ;D

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/specials.php

I want to see what the size and weight is on the 'to be announced' one is.   I really only use the 2.8 for sport and some events otherwise I use the f4.

Focus Breathing, at close range is very pronounced on the current version.  Not bad at distance.
Cheers,

Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #286 on: October 08, 2016, 10:19:13 »
Just had a look at 2nd hand prices there (Noct & others). Well, it would take a very hard Brexit to make them temporarily affordable.
Airy Magnien

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #287 on: October 10, 2016, 13:58:45 »
there are some people saying that this lens didn't meet their expectations, citing flat images, dull colours, etc. :o :o :o
i wonder what made them say that...

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #288 on: October 10, 2016, 14:08:50 »
Maybe some of them are paid by competitors to make such statements, or they are trying to make provocative claims to bring attention to their web site etc. Finally the cost of the lens may make some come up with these claims to justify not using the lens (whereas cost may be an influenting factor rather than quality).

We live in a post-truth era.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #289 on: October 10, 2016, 14:38:02 »
... We live in a post-truth era.

Ain't that the truth :D

This lens has significantly exceeded my expectations.

The 105/1.4 E even performs in IR which is very unusual for fast lenses with a large exit pupil.

(D5300, 105/1.4E, 46 image stack stitch in IR)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #290 on: October 10, 2016, 15:08:48 »
maybe i should borrow this lens for the afternoon the next time we have a model shoot :o :o :o

let's see what this thing can do.

Arne Hvaring

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #291 on: October 10, 2016, 21:25:03 »
Bjørn, what a lovely, unusual, stunning image!
Now I have two questions; where is it? and how do you stitch these things?
Well...perhaps a third question, why do you need 46 images (if I understand you correctly) to capture this subject?
Regards AH

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #292 on: October 10, 2016, 21:35:00 »
Richard, sounds like envy disguised as condescension.  "Too expensive for me . . . it isn't good enough for the price."

Arne, stacking images is not the same as stitching.  Stacked images typically uses multiple images of identical composition to various effects.  Focus stacking to work around the abysmal depth of field at macro range is a common example. 

Now, what Bjørn used stacking here for is another question.  I'm guessing that at that range, even at f/1.4, 46 images wouldn't be necessary for focus stacking.  I am interested what the reason was as well, as Bjørn surely had a solid one.  Or three.
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #293 on: October 10, 2016, 22:31:56 »
Sorry for any confusion regarding terminology. Not stacking in the sense of creating a fake depth impression, but combining many image to give a very large image capable or being printed at a tremendous size (in this case, easily 3 x 3 m with detail enough to be scrutinised at close range). Or, being shrunk into a smaller image with enormous depth of detail.

Individual frames are processed in Photo Ninja, then combined in PTGui. The final file is around 2.5 GB.

Arne: this is 'Bispen' at Stigefoss (Trollstigen).

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #294 on: October 10, 2016, 22:35:23 »
So it was stitching.  Not the thread to get into this but best we all try to keep our photography terminology clear and distinct.  I was totally racking my brain wondering why you would employ stacking for that image, was expecting it to be something IR involved as I know practically nothing of it.

Very nice image btw.  :)  Realy enjoying seeing the pics roll in and showcasing this excellent lens.  Thanks to NG I no longer have to look at sample images brewed in the pot of mediocrity to get a peek on lenses! 
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #295 on: October 10, 2016, 22:37:21 »
Yes, I had the wrong term foremost in my mind when I wrote. Sorry for any confusion.

Added: members should know I always strive for the correct terminology. However, being of a human nature myself, I'm not infallible plus sometimes fine details are lost in translation.

Tristin: 'excellent' is certainly a term that applies to the 105/1.4. It might be expensive, true enough, but consider it combines several functions, such as portraiture, landscapes, close-ups, all with utmost ease.

Knut S

• NG Member
  • Tromsø, Norway
« Reply #296 on: October 10, 2016, 22:42:48 »
Bjørn, that picture is just awesome! Wow.. :P
Knut Seppelæ

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2016, 00:32:12 »
looks like the landscape of another planet :o :o :o

chambeshi

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #299 on: October 14, 2016, 13:43:55 »
Hardly any new info there.

I found the AF to be spot on with my 105E, tried on four different cameras. These very fast lenses demand as much of the user's skill and understanding on how AF works than on the alignment of gear components themselves. Even with 25 mm extension + TC14E.2, AF is positive and accurate, but understandingly a bit slower than with the naked lens itself.