Author Topic: anyone using lightroom mobile?  (Read 1542 times)

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
anyone using lightroom mobile?
« on: July 24, 2016, 04:26:17 »
i will start by saying that i'm not a lightroom user. i greatly dislike the central catalog / ingestion process and find the user interface unnecessarily obtuse.

i do all my editing, keywording, sorting, collection, etc, in bridge, ACR, and photoshop, and it all works very well for a modest collection of about 15 years, 10 TB, and a few hundred thousand images.

but with the advent of the ipad pro, in both sizes, i'd really like to be able to do some editing and culling on the go. i tried this last weekend on a batch of images from a trip to colorado. i imported about 50 using apple's standard camera raw import, then edited about 15 in lightroom mobile. it's really a pretty nice interface on iOS, and i was able to quickly and easily cross post them to icloud shared photo libraries, my zenfolio galleries, email, text message, etc.

but ironically, getting the edits back to my desktop is frustrating.

i changed lightroom on my desktop to make XMP files, and figured lightroom would sync with the iPad edits, creating local XMP files and i'd just copy all the XMP files to the folder that i copied the NEF files to and get all the edits. it sort of does, but after sitting and staring at it for an hour it's only synced 6 of the 15. it acknowledges that there are more to go, but no progress. given the speed of our internet connection, it ought to take a few minutes at most to sync the full set of data.

anyone else doing this, or trying to?

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
Re: anyone using lightroom mobile?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:28:04 »
as an additional data point - despite the fact that it says "syncing 9 photos," network activity is nil.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: anyone using lightroom mobile?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 07:45:23 »
I'm using Lr Mobile since its inception. This way I can do the selection and most of the editing from my iPad, not having to be stuck in front of my mainframe screen. I advice, tough, to do the final color editing in front of your calibrated (mainframe) screen. Syncing has still some bugs - Lr Mobile says that there "is nothing to sync anymore - which is untrue; it also takes some time if you have to sync 1'000 images or more. But I'm very enthusiastic about. I don't know how it works out if you are not using the Lr Catalog.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν