Author Topic: Compare: Nikkor CRT-O 55mm to El Nikkor 105 APO  (Read 3340 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Compare: Nikkor CRT-O 55mm to El Nikkor 105 APO
« on: December 23, 2015, 14:15:24 »
Nikon D810, ISO64, Zerene Stacker and Nikkor CRT-O to El Nikkor 105 APO

Just for "interests" sake, a similar shot taken in similar light with the El Nikkor 105mm f/5.6 APO and the Nikkor CRT-O 55mm f/1.2. With the El Nikkor, seated on the PB-4 Bellows, the number of layers are much less (64). With the CRT Nikkor, seated on the Novoflex L or Q are many (155)

The first image is the El Nikkor 105mm APO
The second image is the CRT-Nikkor 55mm
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Compare: Nikkor CRT-O 55mm to El Nikkor 105 APO
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 15:22:23 »
Looks like a "perfection vs character" comparison.  Difficult choice!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 18:29:51 »
I like both, cannot really be compared IMHO ;-)

Apo lens for making large prints from negatives in highest definition and matching colors
vs a lens specifically developed for taking monochrome CRT images and henceforth a curved image plane
formerly known as kds315

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:55:32 »
I don’t see the “No comparison,” and I believe I understand why. In my experience, both the El Nikkor 105mm APO and the CRT-Nikkor have very distinct character in terms of what they can do with sharp focus (stacked) and great bokeh. That’s how I compare them. Of the two, the CRT-Nikkor is dreamier. And although the El Nikkor APO 105mm’s f/stop is f/3.5, I still get great bokeh.

A lot of this turns on focus-stacking. If we are doing single-shot photos, both lenses would have to have pretty high f/stops (narrow) to get enough depth-of-field to have much of a photo, but, of course, I don’t do that.

If the shot is busy and highly detailed, the El Nikkor APO does (IMO) the more interesting job, but if I am looking for pinpoint sharpness and an unusual (but great) bokeh, then the CRT-Nikkor is what I use. Here are two shots I have posted before that gives some idea of how each of these lenses can be used, at least as I do it.

The CRT-Nikkor is mounted on the camera and used on a focus rail, while the El Nikkor APO 105 is used on a bellows, which is something to consider as well. The CRT Nikkor taks a LOT of layers to accumulate stacked focus, while the El Nikkor APO takes far less.

I have started a new thread on getting “impressionistic” photos from various lenses, for those interested.

The first image is the CRT-Nikkor, the second is the EL NIkkor APO 105mm.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:47:40 »
Looks like a "perfection vs character" comparison.  Difficult choice!

That conclusion, call it observation, is something of a non sequitur. An image deemed to have "character" -- wherein attainment of character was the objective of the undertaking; creating the photographing image -- is effectively "perfect" (having reached a state of perfection). You could conclude, it has "perfect character".

However a perfect image might very well be perfectly dreadful, from an aesthetic point of view and still meet all criteria for visual acuity, color fidelity, and exposure. In this instance, you might think: If it's so damned good, why do I hate it?

BTW: In the manner of a disclaimer, let me just leave you with this: I like all of the photos. Each has its own merit. A "difficult choice", for sure! So, I'll take one of each!