Reviews > Reviews by the NG Community

Nikon D600/610

<< < (3/3)

Bill De Jager:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on July 19, 2016, 02:08:38 ---Mirror lockup - as I mentioned in my post I don't want yet another accessory such as an Infrared Remote, even if it is cheap. It's just another thing to carry/lose/break/run out of batteries just when you need it. It annoys me because other cameras do this so well with everything built-in. Ok, no point in getting upset about it, but still ... 
--- End quote ---

Roland, I shared your irritation at first with my D7000.  Then I found that the IR remote was really quite handy, and easier than using the shutter release button.  There's no need to even touch the camera when doing a sequence of shots unless you're changing a setting.  I did get two remotes on the assumption that I'll lose or break one eventually at the most inopportune time.  Because the remote is relatively smooth plastic it could fall out of a compartment or a shirt pocket fairly easily, so I put a rubber band around it several times to increase friction and make it stay put.  I still need to pack a spare cell in case the remote dies unexpectedly.

I completely second your comments about the FM3a and 645NII being much easier and more intuitive to use.  Digital cameras are a mess by comparison.  Making it worse, even within one brand controls get moved around, and try using more than one brand!

That said, the high ISOs and other advantages of digital are compelling.

Frank Fremerey:
Bill. You are so right. It seems the knobs and dials are moved around at random for no good reason.

Yet. Currently I own and use three of these beasts: The D3. The D600. The D500.

Till I got the D500 with grip I thought the D3 was the Holy Grail in ergonomics.
Then I had the D5 as a loaner, used all of them in parallel.
Result?

In Landscape mode the D5 is perfection for my hands.
In Portrait mode the gripped D500 is slightly better because I do not have to extend
My thumb so much to reach the AF selector.
The D3 is still very good but not as perfect as I feel the 5th generation to be
The D600 is  not as good as the other three but I know her very well.

Les Olson:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on July 19, 2016, 02:08:38 ---

Mirror lockup - as I mentioned in my post I don't want yet another accessory such as an Infrared Remote, even if it is cheap. It's just another thing to carry/lose/break/run out of batteries just when you need it. It annoys me because other cameras do this so well with everything built-in. Ok, no point in getting upset about it, but still ...

--- End quote ---

All the upper consumer Nikons, including the D600/610 have a kinda-sorta MUp in the custom setting "exposure delay" - it is d11 on my D7000 - which puts the mirror up when you press the shutter then waits a few seconds - 8 on the D7000 - before it takes the photograph.     

mxbianco:

--- Quote from: Frank Fremerey on July 18, 2016, 12:44:31 ---You can put virtual horizon on one of the Fn buttons. Then you do "Virtual horizon" in the VF in the same matter you balance exposure manually. http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/d600/d600_en_01.pdf

Feature is called: "Viewfinder virtual horizon"
https://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22_137&osCsid=9f579660957d670a6e68888bcb96e961

You can have the FM-3a focussing screen from them to fit the D600!!! It is 80,74 Euros.

--- End quote ---

@Frank,
Thanks for the link to that useful site, in another part of the site there are instructions for replacing the focussing screen for just about any Nikon digital camera (only exceptions: the D40X and the D5)

By looking at a table of the available focussing screens, I see some (intended for Nikons) are marked as Canon-built, and some others are marked as Nikon-built (labelled F6 and F3m ). Does it mean that I could pull a focussing screen from an F3m and put it on a D600, or D500? Or trade between the bodies?

@Roland,
One way of freeing the Fn button is to chip your MF lenses. No more forgetting to dial in the correct lens number, and the additional bonus of chipped lenses' ability to be recognised by entry-level models (for example, my IR-converted D70, or a D40/D40x, or even D100/D1/D1H/D1X), who do not have a non-CPU lens menu (introduced with the D200/D2X/D2H).

The D600 has been my third digital camera (jan.2013), I kept using my F4 until the D70 was introduced (2004), then second camera was a D300 (2008), and the next steps were a D810 (used 3K shutter count, people buying the D850 were dumping them), a used D7000, and a used D500 (april 2019, 4K shutter count). I like all my cameras with an added grip, the D500 and D810 accept the D4/D5 batteries (EN-EL18, with the BL-5 adapter), not so with the D600, which is categorised by Nikon as a midrange camera, with some characteristics "castrated" as Frank efficiently illustrated:
Only 3 shots for multi-exposure (and same for bracketing); semipro and pro (Dx, D300,D700,D800 etc) will have up to 9 shots
No compatibility with the pro batteries (D300 and D700 can host an EN-EL4 D3 battery in the grip, D810 and D500 the EN-EL18)
only 1/4000" fastest shutter speed (good old D1, D1H and D1X had 1/16000", remaining pro/semipro 1/8000")
...but then you have U1 and U2 modes (not available on pro/semipro), where you can save most camera settings and flick back and forth between two different scenarios (for example, outside with bright lights vs inside a church with low lights and maybe artificial lighting)

The D600 is a brilliant camera, I haven't stopped using it, I generally use two cameras with two lenses: maybe one prime on the D600 and a zoom on the D810, or two zooms (16-35 VR and 70-200 VRII), and more variations on the theme, from fisheye to supertele, depending on location, but always two cameras.

Ciao from Massimo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version