Author Topic: Adé FM-D!  (Read 9995 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Adé FM-D!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 08:53:01 »
I post one of the original full res scans for download later.

Here it is: http://fotokontext.de/ZENTRALKRAFT/C016310-R1-29-30.JPG
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 12:07:58 »
I think it would be a shame to let the FM2 go nonetheless. Wish I had the money to make you a serious offer for the camera. The FM2 not only brings back many many fond memories from about 15 years of photography, it also motivates me to go out and shoot. I gave my FM2 to Kristina so she would have a film camera. After buying my Nikon F I bought her a Nikkormat (built in lightmeter and non-removable viewfinder were reasons to go with a Nikkormat rather then another F)

Still, the FM2 in a coat pocket with a 50mm and 105mm is a very nice, light and portable photography combo.

Personally I do like shooting film. Not as much for the "higher" quality arguement, the claimed dynamic range or anything else that is measerable. What I like about film is not being able or tempted to chimp and delete.
Buddy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 12:14:40 »
"What I like about film is not being able or tempted to chimp and delete"

In fact I shoot far far fewer frames now than in the film days. Just because I easily can check immediately after the exposure. No need to bracket or have "extra originals" for own archive and the stock libraries.

Perhaps down to 1/10 or even less of the shooting volume. Don't delete anything in camera , though, thus my practice is as before.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 16:33:14 »
Yes. If I am out with the D500 and 1.4/35 Ai-S I take very few frames. That is because I know exactly
what happens. I compare it to the F4. Ultrareliable. Ultrapredictable. Only extreme backlight needs
testing and using the display.

Not so with the FM2. I reallly consider to have a diopter made. That should fix some issues.

I really should carry a digital with me as reliable spot meter.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 17:06:16 »
"What I like about film is not being able or tempted to chimp and delete"

In fact I shoot far far fewer frames now than in the film days. Just because I easily can check immediately after the exposure. No need to bracket or have "extra originals" for own archive and the stock libraries.

Perhaps down to 1/10 or even less of the shooting volume. Don't delete anything in camera , though, thus my practice is as before.

Bjørn, that is quite the opposite of what happened to most shooters as far as I am aware. Interesting to hear things developed that way at least for some.

For me, I shot about 350 rolls of film/year. In part that was due to financial constraints being a student at the time.

Nowadays I shoot well over 30k photos/year. There are a lot of 5-8 shot sequences in that number though.

Frank, I do find that the FM2 deserves a chance. I am blessed with unimpaired eyesight, but I would like to hear about your experiences with a custom made diopter, because I will certainly consider the option for my Nikon F and F3 once I do need glasses.
Buddy