Author Topic: [Portfolio] The Year That Once Was - 52 Top Photos from 2012  (Read 8439 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: The Year That Once Was - 52 Top Photos
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 01:56:14 »

At last, the final two pieces of the parade.

Why 52 images? Because the year has 52 weeks. One each months would be 12 and that is too few. With 2012 being a leap year, one for each day would be 366 and that's simply a few hundreds too many as one gets lost in the maze. So 52 is a good compromise.

Anyway, without further ado, here they are.

51. A foray into the deep forest along the Norwegian-Swedish border netted me this image. I came across a small forest lake hidden far away from any remnants of civilisation. Its frozen surface was criss-crossed with lines, either from skiers earlier in the winter season or ice break-up, or probably both. Weather had unstable for many weeks at that time going from very mild, just above the freezing point, to way below, dipping into the sub -20 C range. The cycles of thaw and frost would erode any tracks on the lake surface. Whatever the underlying explanation for their formation, I found the patterns interesting and spent some time documenting them. A long lens helped since I had to be fairly high up in order to get a good overview of the scene..

51. Winter Lake
(Nikon D40X, 200 mm f/3.5 Nikkor ED-IF)

52. I've driven by this industrial estate hundreds of times as it is on the return path for my trips going eastward of Oslo proper. The shape of the facade is great stuff, but I always thought something was missing so never bothered to stop for a shoot. Well, not entirely true, as I did a shoot there a winter morning a fews years ago, but then the lens was directed towards the snow pack along the road outside. So no pictures of the buildings themselves had been acquired over a period of 20 years or more..

On the return leg of this trip, I reacted by instinct and pulled over straight into the perfect spot. Then, rushed out with the nearest camera, which happened to be the Fuji and the humble 35-105, and got the shot without even thinking how or why. It just had to be, so be it.

Probably one of the best IR pictures I've done so far. Patience pays off.

52. Industrial Relief
(Fuji S3 Pro, AF Nikkor 35-105 mm f/3.5-4.5)

(the chair was put there by the staff so they had a retreat for their smoking breaks. Smoking is not good for your health but might help the photographer)

* * * T h e     e n d * * *

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 01:57:02 »
[ Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:40 ]

Thanks to all for your interest and willingness to share your thoughts on this topic. Unfortunately, my own access to the material has been blocked by a hostile web site take-over, so had to republish as per written agreement here.

Also for me it has been of considerable interest to make this compilation. As I said initially, I had material in the plenty because 2012 was such an intense UV/IR year. Still surprised what I ended up with.

My general impression as that I managed to keep a higher and more consistent quality throughout 2012. However, the best UV/IR shots of the preceding year (2011) tend to rank even higher on my list of favourites. Perhaps one cannot have both peak output and peak quality at the same time. A UV/IR variation on the Heisenberg uncertainty theme?

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 06:46:41 »
Bjørn, your photos are a true joy and inspiration!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 15:40:52 »
Words fail me.
Jørgen Ramskov

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 16:12:57 »
Thank you for sharing. The scale and quality of these images is immeasurable.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 18:42:07 »
As Jakov says, this thread is heavily loaded with the souces of inspiration.  Thanks for sharing, Bjørn!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 19:43:29 »
Thanks for sharing these.  They make "straight" image recording seem dull by comparison.
"The lesser spoken about Las Vegas the better. The city was horrible. I found it for once very difficult to shoot anything worth while during the short stay Andrea and I had there. But of course the city had colours, if you looked specifically for them."
Las Vegas is one of the more "photography proof" places I have been to.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 19:46:17 »
I was writing my own reflections on the matter. That others love the place was very obvious.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 20:49:37 »
we like it a lot

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 21:45:21 »