Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?

<< < (75/76) > >>

John Geerts:
It's all about image-quality in the end ...   ;)

Not too bad with the S2  (50 1.4  ISO 100 and 1/15th)

John Geerts:

--- Quote from: Amun on January 05, 2021, 18:41:54 ---I still have mine, and take it out every now and then - it really is like something out of the ark... Tediously slow, tiny screen and microdrives! Mine also creaks, as it was based on a plasticky body, which always used to annoy me. The D200 that replaced it was a completely different kettle of fish ;-)

--- End quote ---
The Body of the  Fuji S2 was based on the Nikon F or N80.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Nikon_F80_(N80)

ch96066:
Considering obsolete = archived in Nikon USA speak, then

D810 is actually my main camera and do not consider parting with it (even if I have the D850)
Fuji S5 pro for a slower more contemplating shooting style where highlights recovery and vibrant colour are desired.

Kenneth Rich:
With this new kid Z Fc  on he block, I guess many of us are going to be using an obsolete camera with its museum-like mechanical controls again.  Some of us never quit. Blessed be the Nikon F, blessed be the Nikon df. Bring on the not yet born Nikon full frame Z df.

David H. Hartman:

--- Quote from: ch96066 on July 04, 2021, 15:04:29 ---Considering obsolete = archived in Nikon USA speak, then

D810 is actually my main camera and do not consider parting with it (even if I have the D850)
Fuji S5 pro for a slower more contemplating shooting style where highlights recovery and vibrant colour are desired.

--- End quote ---

I'm trying to understand why you would use the Fuji S5 Pro where highlight recovery is needed. I would think the D810 has several stops more dynamic range so the need for highlight recovery would be reduced...

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#FujiFilm%20FinePix%20S5Pro,Nikon%20D810

While shooting with my D850 I set the Picture Control in camera to Auto. Then in Nikon Capture NX-D I set the picture control to Standard, Neutral and finally Flat progressively to reveal highlights. I believe other software has similar development presets so this method is not unique to Nikon software. 

Perhaps if you started with a lower contrast RAW development preset you would find highlight recovery much easier with your D810 NEF files. Once diffused highlights are secured increasing color vibrance should be easy. If I'm reading the graph correctly at the link provided the D810 has more than 2.5 stops of additional dynamic range compared to the S5 Pro.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version