Author Topic: Canon 35mm f/2.8 SSC Tilt/Shift lens for Nikon  (Read 2927 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Canon 35mm f/2.8 SSC Tilt/Shift lens for Nikon
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:29:45 »
I'm going through my cupboards and shelves and try to reduce the inventory ever so slightly.

For sale now is an excellent sample of the Canon 35 mm f/2.8 SSC Tilt/Shift lens. This wide-angle was originally for the Canon FD mount and has been expertly modified to Nikon F mount. The modified lens focuses to infinity on all Nikons. The near limit is 0.3m.

The 35mm is used and thus shows some mild signs of paint wear externally. The glass is pristine with no scratches, dust, or fungus. The (manual) aperture is free of oil, and its click stops are fine. The F-mount shows no signs of brassing of the chrome.

I am asking 900 Euros plus shipping (40 Euros). Payment by Paypal or bank transfer. Please contact me by PM (NG members). Alternatively, ask for details in this thread. The lens is delivered with the original Canon lens hood BW-58 and Nikon F rear cap.

Lens is shown here on a D2X. It will mount and work on all Nikons.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Canon 35mm f/2.8 SSC Tilt/Shift lens for Nikon
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:25:23 »
Do you have any images of the Nikon mount that has been attached to this lens please? 

I have an unmodified lens still with its FD mount that is awaiting its surgery and I am not so proud that I would not copy someone elses approach.   ;D
Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 16:48:33 »
It's a standard AIS mount. One has to remove the FD mount entirely, then shave off the rear end of the lens barrel about 1 mm if memory serves.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 16:58:14 »
Thanks Bjørn. 

From my measurements I had concluded that I needed a very thin Nikon mount - maybe off an older extension tube.  Most modern Nikon mounts are somewhat thicker (~2mm) than the old ones (~1.0mm to 1.5mm).  I guess that another option is that if there is enough infinity adjustment in the lens one can simply adjust out any close focussing tendencies of the modified lens to re-establish its infinity focus.

BTW, were you able to find enough room to squeeze a cpu into your modfied mount?
Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 18:03:38 »
A CPU unfortunately cannot be implemented in this lens, due to the manner in which the rotation of the lens barrel works. You'll discover why in your own quest to convert the lens into 'F' mount.

If we continue this discussion, perhaps better to open a thread over at the "Nerd" board so these technical posts can be moved there? I'll contribute with whatever insights that sill remain in my ageing memory :D