Images > Nature, Flora, Fauna & Landscapes

Jagged Orbit - IR coastline

(1/3) > >>

Bjørn Rørslett:
Infrared photography is traditionally used for landscapes, as IR tends to make distant details better defined. On the other hand, you might, depending on your technique, get a lot of out-of-this-world colour frenzy as a kind of collateral damage.

Books might be written on how you address such issues and ultimately turn them into your advantage. This example portraying a sea-weed covered coastline at Jeløya, the Oslo Fjord,  came out pretty much as I wanted, but caused consternation for the pre-press editors when it was to be printed in a fine-arts book. Actually, the editors begged me to change the colours to make the photo more "manageable" in the limited CMYK gamut used for the printing press. After a good deal of back-and-forth debate, it was accepted as is, and came through beautifully.

Any connection to the works of a certain British writer is purely coincidental.

Frank Fremerey:
Surreality. Is that how IR-sensitive eyes see or can we never know it?

Bjørn Rørslett:
'Probably not' is the answer to both questions.

Do realise we are dealing with entirely false colours here. There is no 1:1 connection between the colours that show and any spectral property of that point.

On the other hand, why care? Most of the time IR comes across almost as bland and dull as life is itself most days. Once in a while you are overwhelmed by the inherent colouration that emerges. This makes IR shooting always irresistible and enjoyable.

elsa hoffmann:
ye well you are going to have to explain that to me... :)

Olivier:
Having the opportunity to see your pictures is one good reason to be here for me, and there are many more (reasons)!
Thank you for everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version