Author Topic: New Nikon DSLR Pipeline?  (Read 5149 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
New Nikon DSLR Pipeline?
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:33:15 »
A bunch of Nikon FX bodies are reaching the 3 year mark over the next few months.  Mention of replacements, even incremental improvements has been scarce.  I don't expect a huge change if a new model comes out, but the silence is deafening.  Of course my D800 is just getting broken in...

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: New Nikon DSLR Pipeline?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:48:54 »
Well, the D810 and D750 are approaching just two years in the market. The Df and D610 are approaching three. The D810 replacement should be imminent, but if Nikon has production issues that could mean delay in introducing additional products. If the D500 is very successful, it could mean there may be fewer FX models in the future. They have to focus their resources on something.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 17:20:07 »
The D5/D500 pushed the limits of ISO and AF performance and a D8xx  FX body would be very interesting with such improved performance

although at the moment I do not think I "need" neither of those improvements

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 19:12:45 »
Considering that the initial troubles appear to be too popular (left side AF issue, oil spotting, internal flare, shutter trouble), at least the first six months should be considered as "moratorium", which should elongate the life cycle of a camera.

I decided to by my D750 one and a half year later than its release, and consider it rather well-seasoned than old.

It is interesting that the life cycle of the Canon cameras (except for the entry-level APS-C models) are longer than that of Nikon ones, which can be good for suppressing NAS.   :P
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:55:45 »
Considering that the initial troubles appear to be too popular (left side AF issue, oil spotting, internal flare, shutter trouble), at least the first six months should be considered as "moratorium".
   :P
Agreed.
Another situation which I believe will slow production for some/many, is the earthquake damage to Sony chip manufacturing. So the pipeline may have to be adjusted somewhat.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 13:24:02 »
It would be safe to assume that the two new 21MP sensors and AF modules Nikon introduced in their tier one FX and DX cameras will trickle down to the other models like a Df MkII and hopefully a true D700 successor.

The D810 is still amongst the best high res cameras (if not the best) out there regarding IQ and ergonomics, would be nice though if they put a new high res sensor in both a compact D8xx and a D5X body to cater the needs of all users out there.

Myself I'm hoping for a mirrorless Nikon body with the D5 sensor combined with proper AF and fps performance ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 13:55:50 »
I don't think it's possible for Nikon to offer a compact body and a larger integral vertical grip body version with the same feature sets - basically the compact one would totally kill the sales of the large one, even if some users need it / prefer it. They can only offer the integral vertical grip body when the feature set is unique to that body. If they offer a $3000 D820 and $8000 D5X I think Nikon would be lucky to sell a few hundred of the latter.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 22:11:10 »
It would be safe to assume that the two new 21MP sensors and AF modules Nikon introduced in their tier one FX and DX cameras will trickle down to the other models like a Df MkII and hopefully a true D700 successor.
I can see the D5 sensor being used in a Df II or D700 type FX camera.

I'm not sure how the 21MP D500 sensor could be used in other DX cameras. The rest of the line (D7200, D5500, D3300) are already 24MP. If for example the D7200 successor uses the D500 sensor, it would be going backwards in resolution, which seems unlikely to me. Maybe some fixed lens compacts?

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 00:15:43 »
I'm not sure how the 21MP D500 sensor could be used in other DX cameras. The rest of the line (D7200, D5500, D3300) are already 24MP. If for example the D7200 successor uses the D500 sensor, it would be going backwards in resolution, which seems unlikely to me. Maybe some fixed lens compacts?

Or even a mirrorless camera with an EVF and the standard mount.

Hermann

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 00:42:54 »
Maybe, there is no indication the D500 sensor has any technology for mirrorless such as on-chip phase detect, but who knows?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:05:29 »
I don't think that there are PD photosites hidden in the D500 sensor.  They sacrifices the photosites of the green channel.  Also, the interpolation to compensate for these lost green photosites should slow the image processing down.

I think the 21MP sensor will remain proprietary for D500.  I would also question the position of D500 as flagship of DX domain.  The current DX lens lineup is too poor to utilize the full potential of D500, especially in the range of wideangles.

If Nikon would release the Df follower, they most definitely use the D5 sensor.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 17:33:44 »
Since I started this thread I read an earthquake in Japan has disrupted Nikon's production schedule as several key suppliers experienced damage.  The free battery grip promotion is about to be canceled.  Looks like new products, if any, are likely to be delayed.  What's next, Godzilla?