Author Topic: Opportunity for Publication  (Read 2082 times)

Nick Scavone

• NG Member
    • Nick Scavone Photography
Opportunity for Publication
« on: January 31, 2016, 19:58:58 »
I frequently listen to the podcasts of Brooks Jensen who is the publisher/founder of Lenswork, a great fine art magazine. The podcasts are quite interesting and enjoyable -- I highly recommend them.

I recently learned from one of the podcasts that Lenswork is soliciting images for possible publication in a competition of sorts, and thought many in the NikonGear community would be interested in submitting their work. The idea of submitting a portfolio of 6 images would seem to be an enjoyable exercise (and not too overwhelming). The possibility of getting my work published (I am a hobbiest/enthusiast, with a day job) is appealing. The link is below for anyone who might be interested.

http://lenswork.com/sixes/index.html

Cheers,

Nick

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Opportunity for Publication
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 20:40:15 »
Nick, thanks for the heads-up. Any member submitting, please keep us in the loop  - whether you get approved or not show us the selected pics.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:48:03 »
Interesting - thank you Nick

Nick Scavone

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:49:51 »
I am bumping this post because the clock is running out and this is a great opportunity to publish (I have no connection whatsoever to lens work). I frankly am struggling with what to submit and would be curious to see what others may submit.

Cheers,

Nick

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 08:57:12 »
The Entry-Fee of $45 to send over images surprises me, or do I miss the point?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 09:07:10 »
No, you did not. These "competitions" aim squarely at harvesting potentially selling images at the expense of the author. It is prudent to read the fine print, or even better, steer away.

Nick Scavone

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 01:03:36 »
John,

You are missing something. Each person who submits the six photos is entitled to receive the book publishing the winning submissions. LensWork is well know for their quality printing and the book will, I am sure, be quite nice. Brooks Jensen and LensWork are well known in the fine art photography world, and this does not seem (at least to me) to be a bad deal.

So many of us take hundreds/ thousands of photographs (I surely have), taking great pride in our craft, and never get published, or even try. I find this to be a rare opportunity, and one which is not difficult to pull together -- six photos. But surely read the fine print as Bjorn says. I don't know what the terms are for winning photographs -- clearly they will be published -- but I would surely want to know that beyond that the photos remain the property of the photographer.

Cheers,

Nick

Jyda

• NG Member
  • Enjoy
    • My photography page
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 09:51:29 »
I think this seem to be quite a fair deal. Making and publishing a book costs money.

From the linked page:

Unlike many other juried publications, you retain all copyrights to your images and written materials. LensWork is granted one-time only publication rights only.
Johnny Dahlén