Author Topic: Help on D800 repair  (Read 3262 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Help on D800 repair
« on: March 12, 2016, 14:51:49 »
Hello, a friend had his D800 sent to me for repair  :o :o :o

so i sent it to Nikon this afternoon. The camera was dropped so Nikon wanted to change the outer casing as well but I do not want this done.

anyway, this is the problem. It is the dreaded ERR problem on the D800 when on PSA modes. experience and hearsay from previous repairs told me that this has to do with the shutter/aperture lever/aperture press (in the mirror box) when this thing happens in PSA but not in M modes. This is true with the D80, D7000 and older cameras. I suspect that this may be the case. do any of you have any knowledge about this problem? I hope that this is just mechanical so that I can just work on this myself.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
Re: Help on D800 repair
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 20:30:36 »
I would have thought that the aperture tab follower would be a likely problem too.
That is, if you set the camera to any of the semi auto modes it reads the aperture tab correctly you won't see an error message.
(if the camera is not set to allow control of aperture via aperture ring) If you set the aperture on any lens with an aperture ring to any value other than minimum, you get an error msg and camera is locked!

Do you get the err msg if a manual lens is used and camera set to any of the PSA modes?
Arthur

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 01:40:47 »
I would have thought that the aperture tab follower would be a likely problem too.
That is, if you set the camera to any of the semi auto modes it reads the aperture tab correctly you won't see an error message.
(if the camera is not set to allow control of aperture via aperture ring) If you set the aperture on any lens with an aperture ring to any value other than minimum, you get an error msg and camera is locked!

Do you get the err msg if a manual lens is used and camera set to any of the PSA modes?

Thanks for replying Arthur!
when I use a manual lens on PSA i still get an Err on the lcd. looks like this is not connected to the lens, I am afraid that this is connected to the meter  :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:25:26 »
uhm...anybody? :o :o :o

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 20:45:03 »
uhm...anybody? :o :o :o

I would really like to be able to help you Richard. But this stuff is so way beyond me, it's not even in the same galaxy.

Hope some else chimes in.
Hans Cremers

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 07:23:09 »
Is the body set to have the lens f-stop set by the aperture ring on the lens, or by the sub command dial on the body?
Mine gives the ERR message when I have the body set to do it from the sun command dial, but I have taken the lens off of the "locked at f/22" position. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 11:24:42 »
Thanks guys, i am going to send this to a guy called David. He is Singapore's favourite Nikon repairman and is so much knowledgeable and experienced than me. I hope that he can fix it for a reasonable price as this was sent to me by a friend in the hopes that the problem is purely mechanical, which I doubt because it has all the tell-tale signs of being electronic in nature. Just in case anybody is curious, I highly recommend this David fellow. He is sort of a legend in that part of the world and is known to teach people who hang around his shop and will even fix for free or for little money(sometimes, it's just a poor old man with a broken camera). He is a genuine fellow so I am recommending him. He is going to be interviewed in my blog soon. :o :o :o