Author Topic: How to mount a DE OUDE DELFT RAYXAR E65/0.75 Revisited  (Read 30669 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: How to mount a DE OUDE DELFT RAYXAR E65/0.75 Revisited
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 11:14:57 »
A tip: the lens will be much more flexible and thereby useful if you drop the FT-1/F-mount part and attach it directly to the 1 Nikon.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 11:30:37 »
A spacer. Apparently BEZ just knocked out the glass from a 52 mm filter.
Ok, seems that his package leads to the same spacing as mine, or very close. The rear element seems to have almost the same position.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 11:34:58 »
A tip: the lens will be much more flexible and thereby useful if you drop the FT-1/F-mount part and attach it directly to the 1 Nikon.
Yes, that would be more flexible. Unfortunately, the Nikon 1 to 42mm adapter that I have is not accepted by the V1, the camera complains that no lens is attached. One should have an adapter with dummy contacts I guess. I wonder why the contact-less adapters are even being sold since they don't work.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 11:40:14 »
You need to set the camera to M mode and your problem is solved ....

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 11:52:37 »
You need to set the camera to M mode and your problem is solved ....
Thanks! :D I always have it on M normally, and it didn't even cross my mind that it could have been accidentally set to A. Now I simply need to find a 52-42 converter..
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:47 »
Ok, seems that his package leads to the same spacing as mine, or very close. The rear element seems to have almost the same position.

Yes as Bjørn guessed it was a skylight filter to keep the rear element clear of a DSLR mirror    ....But I mostly use the lens on my fuji mirrorless cameras as they have a shorter register distance. Your package does not take advantage of this on your V1.
Bez

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 12:04:22 »
Yes as Bjørn guessed it was a skylight filter to keep the rear element clear of a DLSR mirror    ....But I mostly use the lens on my fuji mirrorless cameras as they have a shorter register distance. Your package does not take advantage of this on your V1.

Thanks! Yes, but I guess it all depends at which magnification you want to deploy the lens. With this package, the working distance is a guessed 20cm. Some shots on FX:

Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 12:10:31 »
Thanks! Yes, but I guess it all depends at which magnification you want to deploy the lens. With this package, the working distance is a guessed 20cm. Some shots on FX:

But you may as well have the benefit of your FX sensor if you don't want more working distance with your V1.

Why have you left the heavy original mounting ring on?
Bez

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 12:21:31 »
But you may as well have the benefit of your FX sensor if you don't want more working distance with your V1.

Why have you left the heavy original mounting ring on?

Yes, I guess it's too early but the combination of different rings will make it possible to change the camera very quickly on the fly. If the lens can be securely mounted on a tripod, changing the camera on the back side will be very easy.

I haven't yet thought about what to do with the mounting ring. Currently, I leave it on because the threads underneath are quite greasy, so it's more comfortable to hold the lens like that. I want to see whether I can find someone who can machine a large aluminium ring for me with an Arca Swiss dovetail. The ring could either be designed to attach to the mounting ring or to the large male threads.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 12:27:51 »

I want to see whether I can find someone who can machine a large aluminium ring for me with an Arca Swiss dovetail. The ring could either be designed to attach to the mounting ring or to the large male threads.

I considered something similar but decided I will never use the lens on a tripod so dismissed the idea.

Just remember to always hold the lens to avoid straining your camera mount.
Bez

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 12:41:51 »
2) The 52-40.5 ring has considerable play (as Bez showed with his caliper, the outer diameter of the lens case is considerably smaller than the inner diameter of the 40.5 side of the ring. Thus, the ring is only secured by the rear screw of the Rayxar lens (the part shown in Bez' 2nd picture) by friction.

Any suggestions?

I don't have the lens at hand to check but I used a 39mm or smaller to 52mm ring that was more secure than a 40.5mm, It bolts down very firmly.
Bez

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 14:11:31 »
I don't have the lens at hand to check but I used a 39mm or smaller to 52mm ring that was more secure than a 40.5mm, It bolts down very firmly.
Thanks, that makes sense!
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 15:20:11 »
Thanks, that makes sense!

A quick look on ebay and 37mm to 52mm are common  ....be careful not to remove too much of the 37mm threaded ring else you will not get a tight fit ....too little and your rear element will be lose in the retaining shroud.
Bez

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 17:35:08 »
Gotta love the "Made in Holland" markings, that alone should make one land in my camera bag  :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 17:43:36 »
Do consider the weight first ....