Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Get the Point? Technical Lens Movements and Stacking

(1/3) > >>

Michael Erlewine:
The phrase “Get the Point” is the name of the photo. As I am still new to technical cameras or even doing too much with “Tilt,” etc. I do have some preliminary comments. As we might expect, by leveraging the “tilt” function, we take some stress off the stacking-software procedure. By grouping areas we want to emphasize and apply (in this case) mostly tilt, we can minimize the distance between the front and back of our image and by that reduce artifacts, actually quite effectively.

Here are two photos shot with the Nikon D810, the Nikon Bellows PB-4, oriented so that the tilt works up and down, rather than side to side. This rig sits on the Swiss-Arca Cube C1, which itself can be skewed in various ways.

I took Bjørn Rørslett’s suggestion to not use a large pano arm, but instead use an L-Bracket. In this case I am using the L-Bracket on my D800 (portrait mode) to support the PB-4 and lens, which it does without strain. If I want landscape mode, I use the Swiss-Arca rail already on the base of the PB-4. So, I am not adding any more “rails” to my setup, just switching between the one on the camera and the base of the PB-4. The only downside to this is that I have to re-orient by 90-degrees the Swiss-Arca clamp on my geared head. This is not a huge problem for the convenience.

Anyway, here are two shots, stacked with Zerene Stacker, I took today using the PB-4 and tile (up and down). My first thoughts are that this is a real help in stacking. … just reporting.

Bjørn Rørslett:
A crash course 101 on terminology for view cameras: technically, "tilt" to the side is a swing. Shifting up is rise, shifting down is fall.

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Bjørn Rørslett on April 05, 2016, 23:50:54 ---A crash course 101 on terminology for view cameras: technically, "tilt" to the side is a swing. Shifting up is rise, shifting down is fall.

--- End quote ---

What is tilting up and down called?

Bjørn Rørslett:
That is just tilt up and tilt down.

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Bjørn Rørslett on April 06, 2016, 00:04:53 ---That is just tilt up and tilt down.

--- End quote ---

I will do some homework. But, you get the idea, I imagine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version