Author Topic: Time Passage, or Revisited Scenes  (Read 1514 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Time Passage, or Revisited Scenes
« on: February 07, 2016, 10:51:49 »
I quite frequently revisit scenes I shot before when my travels criss-cross my native Norway. Sometimes I remember what I did on the last visit and strive to expand on the theme(s) suggested by earlier work, or even more likely, I don't remember and do it my way such as feels right at the time.

The latter was the case when in 2009, I travelled the scenic valley of Setesdal, southern Norway and late one spring evening stopped at a girder bridge spanning Otra, the main river of this valley. I spent some time exploring the subject and processed the image to completion later that night at my hotel.

I did have a slight deja-vue feeling at the time, so when I returned to Oslo a few days later, I searched my image archive for this location and came up with this image;

The stored field notes were terse, but mentioned the use on a 24/2.8 on a Nikon F, presumably on Kodachrome, which what I (unfortunately) tended to put in my cameras back in the '70s.

Compare his to the the 2009 result below (Nikon D3, AFS 200/2). Do note that processing was entirely independent as I had no recollection of the ancient photo at the time.

As many members of NG no longer are teenagers, do show us anything you have photographed several times with some interval in between.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Re: Time Passage, or Revisited Scenes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:58:11 »
The second image is fantastic!  What a killer lens too!
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:01:45 »
The 200/2 in various incarnations (MF, AI, AIS) always has been on my short-list of favourite lenses.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 17:54:22 »
The keen eye of the camera tells us the story of a changing landscape better than vague memories.

Here is a section of a productive wetland photographed precisely 30 years apart. (I commenced my field studies in aquatic botany on this site and have followed it ever since).

Upper photo from 1969, lower from 1999. If I should try to repeat these days it will be a Mission Impossible because now there is a 4-lane dual carriageway running straight over the very landscape. In true Norwegian respect for nature, this is a Nature Reserve the authorities agreed lacked public access. So they built the new highway across it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 22:00:21 »
Interesting comparison shots.  What is the water?  A part of a river or a lake or a pond?  It seems to have been dried up in thirty years.

I also wonder which color film you used in 1969?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 16:57:33 »
The pictures of bridge is really nice, Bjørn. Graphic and monumental!