Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

How do you recommend presenting your printed work?

(1/3) > >>

ColinM:
I know we use online images a lot now, but if you've ever displayed your own prints,
or seen someone else do it really well, can you share your tips & advice here?

Please include approaches that help with
- Different types of lighting in the room esp. strong light from windows etc
- Different tones, contrast, highlights/dark tones in the image
- Different types of subject matter???
- Glass in front, printed straight onto metal etc
- Framing options
- ???

You get the idea!

This question came up in a separate thread and Bjorn suggested I start anew one for it

ColinM:
In case you were surprised by the second item above, have a look here
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/a-celebration-of-the-independents-unique-photography-a6951956.html

I was surprised to see this newspaper say this when they launched in 1986

"Black and deep shadows showed up well on the heavier paper we printed on (compared to most other UK newspapers). That meant we could do away with flash, operate less intrusively and produce work that was observational, real and honest"

An interesting statement, based on what the end results like when printed.
Makes you realise the importance of all steps in the start-finish process.

Bjørn J:
I have quit framing photos behind glass, it was too much work to get the glass 100% clean, and the reflections bothered me. Reflection-free glass is available, but very expensive.
Now I laminate the print (a thin plastic film with adhesive on top of the print) and then glue it onto a 5mm foamboard. The laminate is UV-resistant and protects the print, and it can be wiped with a moist cloth. The foamboard stabilizes the print. I normally frame the laminated print in a thin, matte black aluminium frame, but a suitable wooden frame can also be used. I think this gives a minimalistic look, enhancing the photo itself.

Andrea B.:
Bjørn, a question: is the lamination with the plastic film considered to be "archival"? Can that film ever be removed? Also, please, what glue do you use for the foamboard? Do you spread it all around?

I have never done mounting and framing myself. I've always taken them to a framing shop.

My framed prints are on foamboard with mats, aluminum frames and UV-blocking glass. Very, very few of my own prints or the prints I collect get framed and hung. However, I am getting new UV-blocking windows for the house next month, so I will now be able to hang more photos without worrying about UV damage.

Sometimes I display a photograph on a music stand instead of hanging it. You can set the angle and height of the music stand for good viewing.

Stored prints (mine and from other photographers) are kept in an archival box. Each print is between sheets of archival paper for protection.

I'm planning to get a very large binder with sleeve pages so that I can more easily look at some of the prints in my "collection". It is not feasible to frame and hang everything.

(I'm almost sorry I started my little collection of prints from other photographers because I just don't know what I will do with all of them someday.)

Les Olson:
Another key issue is the colour of the surround.  These three images are identical, but the progressive darkening of the surround changes perceived contrast (from Allen & Triantaphilidou, Manual of Photography, ed 10, Focal Press):

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version