Author Topic: Focus handle for 500 mm f. 4 AF-S VR  (Read 2934 times)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
Focus handle for 500 mm f. 4 AF-S VR
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:53:53 »
I am looking for a suitable focus handle for my Nikkor 500 mm f. 4 AF-S VR. Quite often, I need to focus precisely manually ( especially when using the 2x tele-converter). Some kind of focus handle would most likely make it more easy and precise to focus. I found the SunwayFoto focusing handle (http://www.sunwayfoto.com/e_goodsDetail.aspx?gId=1182). However, this is not available for a lens diameter as large as the 500/4. With LensCoat the diameter of the focus ring is 115 mm.

Does anyone have some good suggestions?
Kim

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Focus handle for 500 mm f. 4 AF-S VR
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 14:14:25 »
Depending on your workshop skills, you might be able to modify a car oil filter removal wrench to suit the diameter of your lens. 

You would most definitely need to add some high density foam to protect the exterior surface of the lens.  These wrenchs are not disimilar at first glance to the device shown in your link, but are significantly less expensive.
Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 14:23:14 »
I would be very careful about adding too much pressure to the side of the lens barrel. Thus some kind of padding ought to be used and no matter what device you end up with, don't overtighten or damage can be caused to the lens internals.

A few Nikkors came with focusing handles. From memory, the 500/5, 1000/11, and 360-1200. Plus the AU focusing attachment for the first series of long Nikkor lens heads. For all these, the factory made strengthened access points into which a handle screwed.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 15:05:00 »
Some of the models consists of a rubber band with a handle - somewhat like a rubber band wrench. Would that be likely to damage the lens?
Kim

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 15:07:08 »
Probably not. What is to be avoided is exerting pressure to a small area, this load has to be distributed over a wider area. Like a floor that might handle an elephant but not a pair of spike heels.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 22:09:59 »
Thanks Erik. However, the Fotga is a little too small - the flexible belt is 46 - 110 mm.

I will experiment with a big "wheel". A prototype will be made from cardboard.
Kim

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 22:16:46 »
Extending something like that is easy, they also come in rubber band versions, cost next to noting.

I'm looking forward to hear if there is a difference, I recall these big lenses having quite a good feel in MF, are you using live view?

Zacuto make some really nice 'video' finders much better than one would expect - Similar to a EVF just the rear display at full blast! Almost scary,,,
You are welcome to test it :)

I'm living on Svanemøllevej Østerbro now ;)
Erik Lund

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 22:35:00 »
Liveview is not very easy when the focal length is 1000 mm. My tripod and head is very steady (Gitzo 5532 LS and Berlebach Nivellieradapter with a 100 mm ball). However, in the actual case, I was trying to take fotos of a (big) bird in a tree about 150m away and the tree was swaying in the wind. Not an easy task for liveview.

Maybe I should have a look on the Zacuto finder.

Nice to hear that you live on Svanemøllevej - that's quite close to where I live!
Kim

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 23:19:33 »
We have agreed to meet up, again, and have a look at this and other small projects as well ;)
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 14:04:29 »
where i used to work, we had this old pervert genius engineer  :o :o :o

he used plastic ties for follow focus handles and attachments to the focus ring. this guy is a genius, he made adjustable honeycombs using a bunch of drinking straws for pearl shakes, jigs and follow focus from lego parts and a glue gun and a steady cam from pipes and a coke bottle for counterweight. he is our in house macgyver ::)