Author Topic: Something Long for Travel?  (Read 14827 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Something Long for Travel?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2016, 23:23:35 »
The 300/4PF becomes a very interesting option when the autofocus Nikon adapter becomes available, as its an E lens like the Canon lenses it should be lot easier to adapt to other mounts.

Here's two test shots with the 100-400 on the a7RII from today.

Even though this is shot at ISO6400 on a 42MP camera the detail is amazing with very clean ISO performance

A Rook shot through my kitchen window in dull overcast light and heavily cropped

These birds are getting rare I've been told but they fly in a few times a day "grazing" the fields for worms, first decent shot in months due to the 400mm setting and the insane MP's of the a7RII. The Rooks are very easily spooked however so the next challenge will be to get one without a window in between.

There's some unexpected double nervousness in the OOF grass btw, not sure if this is caused by the double window I shot through or that it is caused by IS artefacts. Might have to do some test, with and without IS, with and without the built in Steadyshot.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2016, 23:48:00 »
Indeed - you need to shoot glass-less ;) Sure hope it's just the window!
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2016, 23:48:49 »
As far as I understand register distance Nikkors will work on Canons but Cannons will only work on Nikons
with very significant limitations.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 00:00:07 »
Frank, true in the DSLR world but not in mirrorless world :)

In time Nikon, Canon and Fuji will come out with a full frame mirrorless camera, most of my lenses can then easily be re-used by buying a new adapter.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2016, 00:07:11 »
Let's hope these adapters offer the maximum of compatibility with regard to lens features.  Automatic aperture functionality and EXIF support are indispensable. Reliable AF operation is desirable as well.

The current fascination with adapting odd lenses to mirrorless systems and thereby losing all automation features is essentially a throwback to the 1950's. Its attraction fades over time. Surely it should be possible to offer something better.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2016, 05:18:17 »
JA, your a7RII looks a major step up from my a7II in terms of High ISO.  I've been disappointed with the High ISO of the a7II compared to most of my Nikon FFs.   The 80-400 afs works quite well on the Commlite AF adapter.  If I pre-focus to the general distance it is very fast to lock on. Still not up to action shooting.

Bjørn, I would expect adapters to keep improving particularly if the major lens manufacturers get into the game (ala Sigma's new adapter) .  Using adapters is enjoyable due to the lens selection available.  The Df brought me back into manual focusing and I use MF vs AF about 50% of the time now with the Df.  It is a pain having to set the FL and not having EXIF but the images work.  Scouting for old lenses is also enjoyable and cheaper ( I did not say 'cheap'  ;) ) .

We are off to the Thar Desert (Rajasthan) next week.   My wife and son have it easy.  Both shooting EM1's and 6 lenses between them.  I'm taking the Sony and Df with a selection of Sony, Zeiss, Nikon, Voigtlander and Leica lenses.  Fortunately the carry on weight is cumulative  for the family  :) . The Nikon and 3 lenses weighs close to the same as the Sony and 7 lenses.  The only long lens will be the Olympus 40-150 2.8 (and TC1.4) .

It is all about enjoying taking photographs  :)

I did think about taking just the Sony but I am still not that confident in the Sony and the Df is just so good with that 16MP sensor and I can still use CNX2 .
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2016, 09:56:04 »
JA, your a7RII looks a major step up from my a7II in terms of High ISO.  I've been disappointed with the High ISO of the a7II compared to most of my Nikon FFs.   The 80-400 afs works quite well on the Commlite AF adapter.  If I pre-focus to the general distance it is very fast to lock on. Still not up to action shooting.
I am amazed about the ISO performance as well, at 42MP I feared the worst but here's a 100% crop of the OOC JPG of the dog portrait posted earlier.

EXIF: ISO6400, 263mm, f/5.6, 1/250, autofocus, Image Stabilisation on, Steadyshot off, handheld on a moving dog.

Cheers,
Jan Anne

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2016, 10:36:56 »
JA, pretty darn impressive  :) .  I cannot afford to keep chasing High ISO and since I'm not shooting action with the Sony I'll just have to learn to shoot differently.  If I were a Professional Sports shooter I would probably sell a bunch of gear and get the D5 or a D5S (if one appears) and a 400 f2.8 but, for my market (  ;) )  , the D3S and D750 will have to suffice.  A D500, maybe  :) .
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India