Author Topic: Icebergs  (Read 5234 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Icebergs
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 18:57:10 »
Golunvolo, thank you, the formation is natural.  Wind, snow and water sculpt extraordinary shapes, and I also though this one was reminiscent of an Easter Island head.

Anirban, thank you, the colours vary according to the light, but also as a result of events at the time of formation of the ice - the saltiness of the water is important, and also the salt can sometimes leave the ice.  They are much more complicated than I ever thought.

As for metering, Nikon matrix metering was surprisingly accurate, although sometimes I opened up the aperture a little.  There was a lot of trial and error!
Anthony Macaulay

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 06:08:37 »
As for metering, Nikon matrix metering was surprisingly accurate, although sometimes I opened up the aperture a little.  There was a lot of trial and error!

Thanks for mentioning that Anthony. There was a time I ended up with grey-ish underexposed photos of snow covered land, when I relied on camera's metering (it wasn't nikon though).
Anirban Halder

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 12:00:32 »
Anirban, there were three photography tutors on the ship, all of them skilled professionals.  Two used Nikon and one Canon.  They all agreed that the Nikon matrix system needed less exposure compensation for snow than the Canon system.  It was interesting that the Canon photographer agreed with this.
Anthony Macaulay

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 12:21:48 »
some awesome images - Mongo would love to have gone there !

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 19:43:12 »
Thank you Mongo.
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 10:12:40 »
 Revisiting this thread I am even deeper impressed by the feelings these shots invoke. This is the best I can say about a shot: That it makes me feel I am there, that you as a pghotographer take me on a journey with my eyes and take my emotions with you. Masterful.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 16:53:40 »
Frank, thank you, that is high praise.
Anthony Macaulay

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 03:13:59 »
Wow, wow wow!!! What a great trip with photos equal to match!
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 11:50:32 »
Thanks, Gary, I am glad you like them.
Anthony Macaulay