Author Topic: North Cape 71 deg. North  (Read 1873 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
North Cape 71 deg. North
« on: June 23, 2015, 00:38:15 »
North Cape (Norwegian: Nordkapp) is often claimed to be the "End of the World" or the farthest north you can get on the European continent. The spot is heavily visited by tourists getting a thorough chill in the ice-cold wind and have a look at the Arctic Sea. They even pay for the excitement.  The natives know better as the real 'End of the world' isn't here, but Knivskjellodden, a headland slightly west of North Cape.

Oh well. The true hot spot is the huge Globe at North Cape that every tourist apparently has to make a snapshot of. Even I was tempted :D, but in infrared of course to stand out from the crowd.

The position is approx. 71 deg 10 min N, 25 deg 37 min E. Or look for the northern end of Europe on a map.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: North Cape 71 deg. North
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:11:13 »
Your rather graphical edits let the pictures often seem like drawings more than photos.

The photo seems to be a mere input for the edit.

The photo seems to have been taken with the edit in mind.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:51:54 »
I have a similar one in pure b/w.

In the field, I envision final images, not edits.

Lance B

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:51 »
Interesting. Love the colour of the sky and the silhouette of the sculpture(?), but the silhouette of the photographer makes it.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:08:56 »
Love the composition. and the story.
I looked it up - its much further than Santa's abode!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:49:06 »
The North Cape owes its attraction to the high plateau with 300-400 m cliffs falling straight into the Arctic Sea. At such a position above the sea surface you are almost guaranteed to be buffeted by strong winds, and at the edge of the Arctic Sea, wind is pretty chilling as well. So the tourists, spilling out from their warm and cosy coaches dressed in thin clothes, really do feel they are fallen prey to the powers of Harsh and Unforgiving Nature. Obviously they love this exciting experience, at least for some minutes before they hurry back into their buses.

They never seem to realise they have been tricked into believe they are at the End of Europe. However, they fail to recognise the low and humble headland jutting out to the west side of North Cape. I have arrowed it on this infrared overview snapshot. Now, that *is* the northernmost point. However, no roads lead there and thus no coaches either. Just the natural ambience created by the eternal sound of pounding waves and the cries of the sea gulls.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:53 »
We have the same thing with our Cape Point. Everyone believes it is the Southern most tip of Africa - where the Indian and Atantic oceans meet - lighthouse and all. Also not true - as Agulhas (2 - 3 hours drive south) actually has the southern most point. But tourists dont care!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za