Author Topic: Modifying the 5.5cm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor to achieve infinity focus!  (Read 3220 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
https://richardhaw.com/2016/06/12/repair-micro-nikkor-5-5cm-f3-5-22/
Finally, part 2 of the Micro-Nikkor 5.5cm f/3.5 series! This time, I will show you how to make this focus to infinity on modern Nikon cameras like the D750 and the D7200!

the solitaire

• NG Member
The extension to use the lens on modern cameras allowing to focus to infinity is very interesting.
Buddy

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
The extension to use the lens on modern cameras allowing to focus to infinity is very interesting.
Hi!, I got the idea from people modifying their lenses for mirrorless use here :o :o :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
An alternative is of course using a Dremel to cut down the excess material of the aperture collar ....

However, the image quality of this Micro-Nikkor isn't that remarkable to make the efforts worth while. I let my copy survive - as of now.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
An alternative is of course using a Dremel to cut down the excess material of the aperture collar ....

i am actually planning to print an alternative focusing ring for this Nikkor :o :o :o

the problem is the available filaments

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
If you find a practical solution, my 5.5 cm might still escape the fate of meeting its Dremel ...

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
If you find a practical solution, my 5.5 cm might still escape the fate of meeting its Dremel ...
i am going to 3D print one. if that proves too expensive I will just make one from resin :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Interesting article as always, Rick!

Do you really need the special spacer?  I would think three washers of the appropriate thickness and moltoprene filling for the light seal would be good enough.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
Interesting article as always, Rick!

Do you really need the special spacer?  I would think three washers of the appropriate thickness and moltoprene filling for the light seal would be good enough.

Hello, Akira.

Yes. the spacer is the most rigid solution as of now :o :o :o
a more permanent solution would be the 1 that i am planning.
my problem now is aligning the 3D text to the ones on the original focusing ring.
my fallback is to just cast it in resin....